Magic Toolbar support on Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by nsxrox, Oct 25, 2016.

1. nsxrox macrumors member

Any thoughts on if or when the new Magic Toolbar will work on Windows? I currently do Windows programming on a Mid 2010 MacBook Pro and need those function keys. If I recall in the past, Apple has added support for new hardware to Bootcamp within 30 days, but generally not available day one. Touch ID support would be nice for unlocking Windows, but I won't hold my breath for that one.

2. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

I would anticipate minimal support from Apple at best with regards to Bootcamp compatibility. Probably to the extent of duplicating what exists today (function keys with brightness/volume controls). And of course, do not expect it early on...

3. frankgrimes macrumors 6502a

frankgrimes

Don't expect much support, at best it will be the usual function keys at worst it will be buggy at first and hardly work.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Hopefully it will be enough to provide the function keys, but knowing apple, it may be a little while before we see updated boot camp drivers.

5. V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r macrumors 6502

V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r

I'm also thinking about this. For quite a while I've been coding (and helping other people to code) the Boot Camp and related 3rd-party drivers, so probably the time is coming to write another one. I'll keep the community updated about this. Maybe it will be named 'Toolbar++' :)

6. supermariofan25 macrumors regular

supermariofan25

What i'm hoping for and from what I understand, the toolbar will be partially controlled by firmware so unless instructed otherwise by the OS, the toolbar will function as normal fn keys and (hopefully) will not require a driver for such function. I may be wrong however.