Magic Track Pad...after two weeks "It's a bummer"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SvK, Sep 20, 2011.

1. SvK macrumors 6502

SvK

Magic Track Pad...after two weeks "It's a bummer"

Hi,

I work as a senior sound-designer for a major VideoGame Developer. Three of us in our sound-design department have switched to Lion, and decided to embrace "gestures". All of us literally forced ourselves to ONLY use the magic trackpad for the past 2 weeks.

We use ProTools, Logic, Wavelab. In short there is a lot of precision editing going on in our field of work. Lots of zooming in and chopping up of audio at a very meticulous level.

The gestures are well thought out and work like a charm. You get used to them very quickly.

But once you get down to editing very precise points in the audio files, your fingers start jerking over the pad and your hand wants to rest on the pad the way it does on a mouse and you just can't. Basically your hand needs to hover above the pad with just your fingers touching it, while your palm is below the pad. After 2 hours you start cramping up and you just want to grab something.......like a mouse ;-)

That's the main rub. When one uses a mouse, the hand rests on it when your not engaging it....not so with the pad.

Keep in mind we used these things exclusively for 2 weeks. In my case 3 weeks.

We really gave it a shot....

So if Lion is all about gestures (it kinda is) and most of these gestures are only accessible with the TragicPad...where does that leave gestures?

best,
    SvK

2. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

The Magic Trackpad is definitely not a Pro-friendly device. On the other hand it's extremely powerful for a general user/consumer. It's a navigation device, mostly and it speeds up workflows.
    In a case like yours, a mouse is still necessary. Using both combined is probably the way to go.

3. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

Well, it's not perfect for all. Use a mouse or jog in addition - multiple inputs work very well. I regularly use 4.

4. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

i use jitouch on my macbook pro, it also has special gestures for the magic track pad and mighty mouse. look it up and give it a try, there is a free version. I couldn't live without it, i turned off some of Lions gestures to use my more strategic custom gestures.

5. SvK thread starter macrumors 6502

SvK

Thanx will try!

best,
    SvK

6. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

I absolutely love the trackpad, especially in conjunction with Better Touch Tool. However I would never be able to use it exclusively, since like you say, it's not exactly great when it comes to precision editing or prolonged use.

I almost never use my trackpad to actually move the cursor, but instead use my left hand to do gestures which complete app-specific keyboard shortcuts and use a generic mouse with my right hand for the precision it gives.

Really, it just means I don't have to look down from the screen or take my hand off the mouse to complete keyboard shortcuts and to also do them faster.

7. reputationZed macrumors 65816

The value of the Magic Trackpad is inversely proportional to both screen size and the need for precession. As much as I love the Trackpad on my MBA I have to agree with what's already been said about keeping a mouse alongside the Magic Trackpad when I'm using my MacPro.

8. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

You didn't know that a trackpad, any trackpad, is not designed for precise movements?

I use an Apple BT keyboard, MT, with a mouse on the side in case I need it.

9. SvK, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

SvK thread starter macrumors 6502

SvK

Well that's why it's called progress and I was hoping the Magic PAD had progressed in this regard.....

best,
    SvK

10. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I love the trackpad on macbooks.
    I love my magic trackpad in my living room to use with my mac mini server/HTPC.

I HATE my magic trackpad with my imac. I feels very uncomfortable, and not natural. I am not even a fan of the gestures in lion (Liked snow leopard gestures much more) so I remapped some using better touch tool. But even then I don't need gestures as my mouse (Logitech performance MX) has enough buttons to do the ones I use.

the trackpad has its uses in some places, I personally just can't use it as a desktop pointing device.