Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

registered

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
I've been having the weirdest issue with my Magic Trackpad 2 on El Capitan (10.11.3.) When I'm in one app's window and tap/click to another app's window, the new app's window comes to the foreground but the old app is still in focus. So if I try a keyboard command at this point or type some text, it's actually performing that in the old app and not the new foreground app.

Say for example I have TextEdit and Safari open and I'm browsing a page in Safari. 50% of the time if I use my Magic Trackpad 2 to tap or click into a TextEdit window from Safari, the TextEdit window will come into foreground focus, but if I start typing text or hit CMD-N for a new document, it'll operate on Safari instead of TextEdit. This is just an example – it literally happens with any app.

I've messed with everything: accessibility settings for the Trackpad, trackpad settings, etc. No background apps or mouse extension apps installed.

Anyone else having this issue? It's driving me crazy and makes using the Magic Trackpad 2 on OS X pretty useless.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Yes, thank you. I too have been very confused by this.

I have a mouse connected as well for different purposes, and though I cannot always replicate it on the trackpad, I've never seen it on the mouse.

Its so bizarre to visually see the window change, then press cmd+w or cmd+q and quit the last application you were in. Really messes with your mind/makes you think you don't know what you're doing.

registered

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Yes, thank you. I too have been very confused by this.

I have a mouse connected as well for different purposes, and though I cannot always replicate it on the trackpad, I've never seen it on the mouse.

Its so bizarre to visually see the window change, then press cmd+w or cmd+q and quit the last application you were in. Really messes with your mind/makes you think you don't know what you're doing.

Glad I'm not the only one! Yeah you're right it really messes with your mind and frankly your entire workflow with the Mac. It's hard to get anything done when you're trying to get stuff done and always closing the wrong app/window.

Anyone else?

registered

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
I momentarily thought the issue was gone in 10.11.4, but I was wrong: the issue still persists.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.