Magic Trackpad 2 no gestures

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fitshaced, Oct 15, 2015.

1. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

So, picked up a new trackpad. It connects fine to my iMac (late 2012) but it is not detected in System Preferences as a trackpad. I can move the cursor but I cannot scroll, zoom or swipe with it. I have OS X El Capitan and have rebooted, checked for updates, unpaired and re-paired, tried via wired connection with lightning. Nothing gets it going.

I did have the previous version of the trackpad but that is no longer operational and have been using the magic mouse for the past 6 months or so. The mouse works fine for gestures.

2. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Funnily enough.....I have today purchased the "magic" keyboard 2 and "magic" mouse 2. They don't appear to be that magic as neither work correctly. The mouse has no gestures available and works as a click mouse with cursor movement. Similar story with the keyboard whereby the function keys at the top don't work as they should.

I can't be a beta test guinea pig and will have to return these tomorrow until apple sort out the bugs in the drivers/software.

I am running on a Macbook pro 2011

3. Branskins macrumors 65816

Are you by chance running the final version of 10.11 or are you on the GM?

4. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

5. Branskins macrumors 65816

Is this 10.11.1 or an old 10.11 beta?

6. fitshaced thread starter macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Actually, installing the official El Capitan release fixed it for me. I had an old public beta.

7. Branskins macrumors 65816

Yup! That was what I was going to recommend! You aren't the first I've seen with this issue. Glad it was an easy fix

8. tomrakewell macrumors newbie

tomrakewell

Yes, make sure you are running the latest OS updates that support the new hardware.

9. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Agreed.....mine was stuck on the gm release so had to install release version, all good now.

10. selfilm macrumors newbie

Anyone know if the devices will run on something as old as 10.6.8 - Snow Leopard?

11. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Yeah it says in the instruction booklet that you have to have the latest stable release of El Capitan for these items to work correctly.