Magic TrackPad Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iMacBoy, Aug 10, 2010.

1. iMacBoy macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have the iMac 21.5" 10.6.4

And i have the keyboard with the same design as the Trackpad.

Now i am only 13 and i am wondering is the TrackPad really good enough to replace my Magic Mouse
    and
    Is it really worth £59, because i don't have a job, so is it really worth persuading my parents to chip in on it with me?

I think it would look great next to my setup, but you guys tell me what you think about it, and COULD it fully replace the Magic Mouse?

-Thanks
    -iMacBoy

2. Skika macrumors 68030

Well if what you mostly do is surf the web, itunes, mail... i think it can replace the magic mouse. If you do editing of any kind then it can prove to be a bit difficult.

3. Dyango macrumors member

Well, if I was in your place I would just wait for the next b-day or christmas and have a little patience, if the Magic Mouse works fine for you I think you can wait a little.

Another "tactic" is to talk to your parents about the Magic Trackpad and what you know about it. If they find it useful or think you like -and deserve- the item they will probably just buy it for you.

4. ericw27 macrumors newbie

ericw27

:mad:

5. ericw27 macrumors newbie

Trackpad

At the opposite extreme I am over 80 and have just purchased the Magic Trackpad and am very disappointed that it doesn't easily take the place of Mighty Mouse.
    Don't bother with it unless someone gives you one to experiment with.

6. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

Try before you buy

I bought a Magic Mouse to use with my Macbook Pro and was very happy with it. I subsequently tried out the Magic Trackpad in an Apple store, and immediately bought it. Since then the mouse has been redundant, and will appear on eBay very soon.

However, that's just my preference. You really need to have a go for yourself.
    My personal preference when using the trackpad is to enable a finger tap as a click. I say this because the mechanical click on the trackpad is not so easy when your finger is near the upper edge of the trackpad (I hope that makes sense)

Anyway - I hope you get a chance to test-drive one so you can decide for yourself. Good luck!

7. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

Not trackpad specific, but...

... since getting my MBP with the glass trackpad, the only reason I've felt the need to connect a mouse was to play a game (Civ4). With preferences set up to my liking, I find the multi-touch interface far more natural and convenient than a mouse for almost everything.

I'm not sure if the placement of the trackpad to the left or right of the of the keyboard would seem as natural as having it in the laptop location below the keyboard.

Certainly, the trackpad can emulate all of the mouse functions. I personally prefer the MBP trackpad to the magic mouse (or any other mouse) for almost all uses. I'm not a heavy gamer and I'm not an artist - if you need great precision, the trackpad would probably have to be a compliment to the mouse rather than a replacement - of course, the magic mouse isn't great in that area either IMO.

It's all about personal preference. I'm not sure you could really make a judgement about the trackpad by trying it in a store, as tweaking the settings to your preference makes a world of difference, as does spending more than just a few minutes playing around with it. For me, the "wow moment" was the first time I accidentally swiped down with 4 fingers and activated Expose - that's magic!

If you get the trackpad, I highly recommend Better Touch Tools (free), which I find makes it even more magical.