Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveoc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Adirondacks NY
I know the Mac Pro has had issues with the Magic Mouse. It certainly is the case with my 2009 Mac Pro.

Is it safe to assume that the Magic Trackpad will have similar issues? Has anybody tried it yet?

mw12a

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2009
I'm not familiar with the Magic Mouse issues, as I don't have one.

I do have the new trackpad, and it is working fine so far with my '06 Mac Pro.

FiL0001

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
I have both on my 2009 Pro. After setting up the Magic Trackpad, I'm getting rid of the Magic Mouse. No more lag. I'm very pleased so far:)

Anthony.L

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2006
Seattle, WA
I'm using the wireless keyboard, magic trackpad, and magic mouse all on my 8-core Mac Pro 3,1. They all work perfectly, no lag, and surprisingly I really like the trackpad.

donw35

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2010
Los Angeles
Working great with the Hack pro, I am experimenting with having trackpad on the left for alternate mouse work.

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
My Magic Mouse and keyboard used to have lag and connection problems with my MP '09 but whatever Apple updated in the last few months have fixed that. No more problems, using the Trackpad and no lag either. My MP sits 3 ft away under a thick wooden desk.

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
I returned my Logitech Performance MX mouse this past weekend and am now using my MTP exclusively.

Wow!

Can't wait to get mine. Going to try it with my left hand, also. Hope it doesn't feel like someone else is using my computer. :)

donw35

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2010
Los Angeles
Brought the trackpad to work today and paired it with my laptop and installed the drivers for Windows 7. No control panel option to change things.
What works in Windows 7
On tap click
Two finger scroll
Double tap to lock on windows

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
I returned my Logitech Performance MX mouse this past weekend and am now using my MTP exclusively.

i'm trying to decide which one of these I should buy? I know you made the Trackpad decision. Can you elaborate on that? I use a wired mighty mouse right now and it is alright, but I'm wanting something more.

Logitech Performance MX vs Magic Trackpad?

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
I bought one yesterday... it works great on my 2009 Quad, combined with a 2007 wireless keyboard and a Mighty Mouse. No lags what so ever.... and I've barely touched the mouse since.

As for how the device works with the apps in general... wonderful. Inertial scrolling in OS X is IMO a bit choppy, and gestures are a bit limited - specially given the size of the trackpad.... soooo...

• Smart Scroll is a great app for controlling the scrolling inertia and other extra functions for $19... totally worth it.
  • BetterTouchTool helps enhance the trackpad with almost unlimited custom gestures and a lot of other features... BTT is free, and really great.

With these two extra apps, the trackpad is just amazing.

Hope this is helpful,

cheers!

darwin022

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
DC
I had a lot of problems with it on my 2008 Mac Pro. I think it's the Cambridge Bluetooth chip in that Mac Pro, it has always been a PITA. The Mac Pro would see the trackpad, try to pair and always fail. After it would fail, I couldn't get into the trackpad prefpane, it wouldn't acknowledge that the magic trackpad was paired. Bluetooth would show it as paired though. The only functionality it would provide was cursor and single click. No right/secondary click, no scrolling, nothing else.

Spent about an hour on the phone w/ Apple, got transferred up to someone in the engineering department. They couldn't figure out what the problem was. Ended up returning the magic trackpad and buying a new 2010 Mac Pro to fix the problem.

Just kidding about buying it to fix the problem, but I'm expecting better results from the 2010.

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
I had a lot of problems with it on my 2008 Mac Pro. I think it's the Cambridge Bluetooth chip in that Mac Pro, it has always been a PITA. The Mac Pro would see the trackpad, try to pair and always fail. After it would fail

Hmm, mine works flawlessly with a 2008 Mac Pro. Remember, you need to be running the newest OS first, pair it second, then run software update. I'm sure you've already covered all these steps, but just in case anyone else is having troubles installing.

sochet

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
Has anyone else noticed it highlights things when you don't want it to? E.g using two fingers.

The same thing has happened on my MBP with the trackpad update too, so there might have been a glitch in the update :/

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Has anyone else noticed it highlights things when you don't want it to? E.g using two fingers.

The same thing has happened on my MBP with the trackpad update too, so there might have been a glitch in the update :/

I just tried mine and I have to double-tap a word to highlight. Have you tried adjusting your double-click speed? I've got mine set pretty fast. Do you have click-lock enabled? Now that I think about it, sometimes this happens with click-lock enabled. Must happen when tapping once, then quickly going to two fingers, it seems to get confused?

darwin022

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
DC
Hmm, mine works flawlessly with a 2008 Mac Pro. Remember, you need to be running the newest OS first, pair it second, then run software update. I'm sure you've already covered all these steps, but just in case anyone else is having troubles installing.

Yep, I had already done all of that. manual installs of the driver, software update install, all iterations of of order for installing, pairing, etc. etc.. I'm chalking it up to BT in that specific computer. I've had a hell of a time getting my BT keyboard connected in the past as well, mainly under bootcamp. similar symptoms. Once a device is connected, it's solid. It's just getting it connected. Both times I've called, the problems perplexed the support engineers.

Oh well, not a big deal, my 2010 should be in the mail shortly :)

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Just picked up the trackpad today.

Working flawless on my 2008 MP.

Replacing a dead Logitech MX Revoltution (I loved that mouse). Been using the regular Mighty Mouse that came with the MP and HATE it. Glad that's over with....

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
... the trackpad is just amazing.

EDIT:

Not too happy about it.... Since I got it I noticed it wobbles (not all 4 sides sit evenly on the table, so one of the bottom sides wobbles when using it). I was hoping that a couple of day's use would "settle" or balance it, but no. The distance that one of the rubber feet rises from the desk is about half a millimeter, but it makes it really annoying when using it - every time I tap on it, it makes a clacking sound. To minimize this I've stacked 4 small pieces of paper and place them under the wobbling side, but this makes clicking difficult...

Anyone else has this problem?

On top of this, the authorized reseller I bought if from says this is just an aesthetic defect, not covered under warranty... but if I insisted, it'll take between 2-3 weeks to deal with it: diagnose it, ask for apple's opinion, get the spare parts and repair it... :confused:

In the past I've had good experience with AppleCare, but this is ridiculous...:mad:

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
EDIT:

Not too happy about it.... Since I got it I noticed it wobbles (not all 4 sides sit evenly on the table, so one of the bottom sides wobbles when using it). I was hoping that a couple of day's use would "settle" or balance it, but no. The distance that one of the rubber feet rises from the desk is about half a millimeter, but it makes it really annoying when using it - every time I tap on it, it makes a clacking sound. To minimize this I've stacked 4 small pieces of paper and place them under the wobbling side, but this makes clicking difficult...

On top of this, the authorized reseller I bought if from says this is just an aesthetic defect, not covered under warranty... but if I insisted, it'll take between 2-3 weeks to deal with it: diagnose it, ask for apple's opinion, get the spare parts and repair it... :confused:

In the past I've had good experience with AppleCare, but this is ridiculous...:mad:

Mine is solid. This is why I buy these items somewhere where it can be returned within 30 days if I don't like it. I try to buy at brick and mortar stores like Future Shop (here in Canada) or Best Buy. Then, you don't have to worry about returning, so long as it's in the original condition with all the packaging, etc.. It sounds like this authorized dealer simply doesn't value you as a customer, which has been my consistent personal experience with small, local Apple dealers. I avoid them at all cost now. Bought my Mac Pro directly from Apple. Buy my iPod's at Costco or Future Shop. Etc.

Maybe try contacting Apple directly and tell them you're calling b/c the authorized dealer is giving you a hassle?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
EDIT:

Is the reseller being a bitch? If so I'd just call up Apple to complain about the trackpad and complain about the reseller. I hope you paid with a credit card…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.