Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 3lionsbecks, Aug 17, 2010.

1. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

I am thinking of getting a trackpad for my iMac and I wanted to know if I would be able to have both the Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse connected to the iMac at the same time and be able to switch back and forth between the two if I needed it?

2. Username02 macrumors regular

Yes.

I am actually using that same set up right now and loving it.

Some things are more convenient for me on one or the other so it is nice to have the choice. :D

3. 3lionsbecks thread starter Suspended

3lionsbecks

Thanks broski. Exactly the answer I was hoping for.

I think that seals the deal for me.....another trip to future shop for me tomorrow!

:D

4. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

I've got the same setup, too, along with the bluetooth keyboard. I think it's great, though I've noticed I don't use my magic mouse much anymore.

5. 8bitchris macrumors newbie

so would you say the track pad is slowly replacing your mouse?

hmmmm I'm very tempted to buy one

6. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I've got the Magic Mouse & the Magic trackpad, and the trackpad has completely replaced the Magic Mouse. It's been untouched ever since I got the trackpad installed.

I've got a Logitech mouse for Windows/gaming use, but for everything else I just prefer the trackpad. Plus the MM for some reason makes a racket on my desk compared to the Logitech mouse!

But using both the MM & MT at the same time is possible.

7. sishaw macrumors 65816

sishaw

I'm thinking of picking up the magic trackpad myself so this is good to know. Any of you folks using the Apple battery charger and batteries? If so, how is it?

8. Keysmark macrumors member

I have all three, wireless keyboard, wireless magic mouse and trackpad, in front of me and ready to use.

When I am doing something important and cannot afford to make mistakes I use the mouse. Otherwise I use the trackpad. As I get more familiar and comfortable with it, I use it more and more.

I like the "tap to click" feature because when you are just surfing, especially on a big 27" screen, you don't have to sit forward at your desk. You can lean back in your chair or across the room, holding the trackpad in one hand, and surf with the other. In other words you do not need a hard surface to click on.

9. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

As much as I love using my Magic Mouse, I rarely use it since I got the Trackpad. MC

10. 3lionsbecks thread starter Suspended

3lionsbecks

I picked up the MTP and it links flawlessly with the iMac and the keyboard and MM. Very easy to set up.

My only gripe is that it doesn't pinch and zoom quite as well as it does on the MBP. Much better still than the ZOOM feature with the MM and command option but I do find that it messes up the layout on many pages and causes text to over lap.

That doesn't happen on the MBP when visiting the same sites.

11. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Use a mouse for editing, graphic design, and gaming. Use the MT for everything else.

12. 3lionsbecks thread starter Suspended

3lionsbecks

I want to take back what I said about my MTP pinch and zoom not working well.

I just realized I had the 'Zoom text only' option checked on in my Safari View settings.

I have since corrected this and the pinch and zoom works perfectly.....just like my MBP.

Awesome.

13. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

Yes, I'd say that. Though I still have some things that I still need my mouse for.

I am using the Apple rechargeable batteries in my wireless keyboard, trackpad, and mouse and like them so far. The charger is really nice size, too.

14. knux11 macrumors regular

I'd call myself an apple fanboy, but does it seem weird that......

ITT, a lot of people have over 200 dollars just in input devices? (MTP,MM,KB)
    there's netbooks (and some laptops) you could buy for that price.

I know the kb and MM came with the imac, but still.

also, does it seem normal to buy a 30 dollar battery charger with 6 batteries when you can get them without the apple branding for like, $10? (unless they're some new charging tech that i'm not aware of)

don't mean to come across as a troll, but that's what popped into my head reading this thread.

15. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Where can you get them for 10 for a charger and 6 NiMH batteries? The apple charger is a good deal from my research.

16. knux11 macrumors regular

the eneloops are pretty cheap. you don't look for sales much, do you?

17. vladzaharia macrumors regular

The Apple Rechargables are eneloops, according to some research. Plus, the charger goes way above and beyond the eneloop charger in terms of smartness and design.

Also, no. You really can't get 6 high-capacity batteries and a charger for $10, even on a good sale. The batteries are expensive, especially for the HC eneloop ones. On Amazon, Charger+4 for eneloop is $21, and that's from Amazon. In-store, you get it for at least $24. Furthermore, you can't talk about sale prices. That's where a retailer wants to get rid of stock and therefore mark down like crazy in an effort to drive sales. If you want to compare, you compare at full price.

18. knux11 macrumors regular

naw, if you compare, you compare what's readily available at the time. sale or not.

Maybe i was off on the batteries, but it sounds expensive. I got 4 chargers and 12 eneloops brand new for free, so i just think of them as cheap i guess.

19. 3lionsbecks thread starter Suspended

3lionsbecks

I agree that the price of the TrackPad is a little steep....I would have thought $49.99 at most would be the right price. But considering Apple charges $39.99 for a VGA adaptor for your MBP or iPad the cost of the MTP makes total sense.

Its all over priced.

Of course, I don't look at it like $200 total for the combo of the 3 since the MagicMouse and Keyboard came bundled with the iMac.....

20. WilliamG macrumors G3

Just got my Magic Trackpad today, and I REALLY like it. It's definitely expensive, but it's also really nice to use.. :)

21. vladzaharia macrumors regular

If you're comparing prices, you can't use limited-time promotions because they're not available all the time. If it was a one-day sale, by the time a person interested reads your post, it will probably already be finished, and the super amazing deal wouldn't be so amazing anymore. Comparing everyday prices that you can find all the time is the way to go when doing price-value comparisons, because you are assured you will always get that price, or lower when you buy it. As an example, we can take your 4c+12b example. Nobody else would be able to get that at the moment, so you can't compare $0 4c+12b to $29 1c+6b.

Also, seriously dude. Can't you do like a minute's worth of research before spouting out figures as facts. Your promotional eneloop pack is obviously a special case, so you must have realized that even though you think of them as "cheap", nobody else does, because the rest of us did not get them for free.

22. mlblacy macrumors 6502

And they are not just any rechargeable...

The price is not bad, and seems in the same ballpark as the Eneloops... Which is likely exactly what these are. The Eneloops ARE different from other rechargeables, they can sit in your camera bag for a year without hardly any passive discharge. They also seem to be holding up better than my old style ones. i have been using them for about 2 years, and they are awesome. The mouse tends to chew through batteries, and I always have an extra charged set on hand ready to go. I also use them on one of my Canon camera, which takes AA batteries.

The Eneloops also come in AAA, and also have plastic sleeves for use as a C or D...

Costco carries them, and Amazon usually has good prices as well... But Apple's price is pretty much in line with what I paid for mine.

Cheers,
    Michael