Magic Trackpad and Power Macs

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ih8reno, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Hi guys

Found a great deal on a magic trackpad but I am reading online that it can only be used with OS X 10.6 and above. Is there another way I can use it for my macs with bluetooth?

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I believe you can still connect with Bluetooth, however you won't have things like right clicking and all the multi-touch gestures.

On the other hand, if you go buy a grand new Magic Mouse it will say 10.5.6 or newer for requirements even on the ones made today. That would be a much better alternative for Leopard.

3. weckart macrumors 68040

If you have one of the last generation Powerbooks with a usb based Trackpad then two finger scrolling works. Possibly also right clicking. I tried a while back with a Logitech trackpad and all the basics worked. All the fancy gestures need Snow Leopard and upwards, however.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

A Magic Trackpad would simply work as a standard input pointing device. There would be no gestures like two-finger scroll, double right click, or pinch to zoom for example. I have used one on PowerPC Macs and always reached for the Magic Mouse. If you do purchase a Magic Mouse instead, I wrote a script application not too long ago on here which enables inertia scrolling.

5. weckart macrumors 68040

Hmm. I tested with a Logitech T651 on a PB A1139 running Leopard 10.5.8 and two finger scrolling in Safari definitely works. This was without loading any drivers whatsoever, so a Magic Trackpad should work equally well.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

A Logitech trackpad is not the same as a Magic Trackpad. The Magic Trackpad lacks the support in Leopard, and a software update was never made for 10.5.

Should and actually do are two totally different things. If you would like to try it out, I can assure you will get the same results as me.

7. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Thanks for all the replies. Probably going to get a Magic Mouse instead as it sounds like the better solution. Found one locally for $30 so think that will be it. Too bad about the track pad though, I'd have preferred using that.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You will need to be running 10.5.8 and have the Magic Mouse Software Update from here installed to enable full functionality. If you want it to have Momentum Scrolling like in 10.6+, simply use my program here.

9. weckart macrumors 68040

Tried it out for kicks and it seems you are right. The MT is a glorified paperweight under Leopard PPC. It was sluggish to pair, too. Very disappointing since tap to click and two finger scrolling are supported by the inbuilt Trackpad on the A1139 and work with the T651.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

How did you connect to it? It should not be sluggish to pair as it uses an empty passkey to connect.

11. weckart macrumors 68040

In the usual way. Clicked the on button so that the Trackpad was discoverable and invoked setup in the BT prefs. It just took a while before the TP was found. It took seconds with the Logitech. In fact, I had to try Other devices rather than mouse before the MTP was found.

12. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Picked up the Magic Mouse tonight and it works great. Got it at a steal of a price, $30 unopened. Thanks for everyone's help!

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I normally have to open the Bluetooth preference pane in System Preferences when adding my Magic Trackpad to a new Mac. That may be why yours took so long to discover.

Are you using the program I posted to enable the 10.6+ momentum scrolling?

14. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Yes I am and it works very well on my Quad G5

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Glad everything worked out then! Hope you enjoy your new Magic Mouse.

16. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Thanks again!

17. weckart macrumors 68040

I did that for both. Dunno why the MTP took so much longer. Just one of those things, I suppose.