Magic Trackpad causing sluggish jerky system response, can apple help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wordsmithmac, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Wordsmithmac macrumors member

Wordsmithmac

For past 2 months I randomly get system hanging, sluggishness and jerkiness forcing me to reboot or wait for it to pass on its own. I've uninstalled some 3rd party apps I wasn't using, did a permissions fixes. problem went away for about 3 days then today it's happened twice in 3 hours. I decided to test a theory that its a bluetooth issue while the issue was going on. Turned off the trackpad for 5 seconds restarted it no more issue.

I think I have a defective trackpad. If I take it to the apple store will they replace it? I've had since Oct 2011.

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yes, Magic Trackpads have a one year warranty.

You should use another bluetooth device, though, such as a cellphone, to make sure it's not the bluetooth on your computer that's causing the problem.

3. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

This is interesting to me because I've been having intermittent periods of sluggishness with my iMac but haven't been able to localise any problem. I'm also using a MT. I'm on Lion, is that what you're using as well?

I'll try turning it off the next time the issue occurs to see if that helps. It never occurred to me that a BT issue could be slowing things down.

4. Wordsmithmac thread starter macrumors member

Wordsmithmac

I've experienced the similar when I used my bluetooth headphones but only while listening to itunes and using the MT in applications.

I'm going to use my BT headphones and see if I can replicate the issue without ongoing use of the MT.

----------

Yes, I'm using Lion. I installed Log Leech to monitor my system and when I checked it no application was shown as going rogue. I believe my issue is BT relation now I'm going to troubleshoot if it's MT or my mac's internal BT module.

5. Wordsmithmac thread starter macrumors member

Wordsmithmac

it's the MT... I was watching a streaming movie with my BT headset on not touching the MT and the sound got weird and picture choppy. Turned off the MT problem went away, turned on MT problem didn't come back. I'm going to Apple store tomorrow.