Magic trackpad helpful for arthritis?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ng7apoc, Jul 29, 2010.

1. ng7apoc macrumors member

Hi,

I realise this might be a bit soon after its release to have any meaningful information but as someone who suffers from arthritis in my right shoulder and wrist (I'm right handed) anything to ease things over longer use would be well worth it.

Currently I get by ok with my Logitech MX laser 1000, SteerMouse to map common functions to buttons per app (fantastic bit of software this), using my left hand for keyboard short cuts, correct height chair/desk and taking a break every so often but I can't help but feel there must be a better solution. Is the new Magic Trackpad something that I may get any benefit from? I've never used a Mac notebook recent enough to have multi-touch input so I can't even use that as a guide.

Any thoughts/input much appreciated :)

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

When the speed of the trackpad is set high enough, you can completely avoid moving your shoulder and arm. Using three-finger gestures as forward/backward commands in browsers is very useful as well (reduces the need for moving).

3. cytomatrix macrumors member

I have pain in my hand joints when I use mouse. I can use graphics tablet or trackpad without the pain. So I bought magic trackpad for my mac pro after testing it at the shop. If you have macbook(pro), use its trackpad see if it helps you. If it does, get a magic trackpad. I know a lot of people see this is as useless. But people like me, this is a blessing.

4. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Agree. I'm basically sitting in front of a computer all the time (in front of a computer 8 hours at work, then getting on my good machine at home), and using the trackpad, my hands already feel better than they normally do at the end of the day.

The only issue you may have is, having one finger on the trackpad while lifting the others. I find that results in a bit of soreness in the metacarpal ligaments after a while.

5. ng7apoc thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies some good info here. Especially like this;
    Given my right shoulder is the worst affected, this sounds like something that may help me greatly.

I don't have a newer MBP, only an older MB so no Multi-touch to test and my nearest Apple store is too far to realistically go and try one :( the downsides of living in a small rural area in Scotland with only the two Apple stores for the entire country.

Still at that price It still seems like its worth giving it a try - there's always eBay if I can't get on with it.

6. Queso macrumors G4

The Magic Trackpad also does not have to be set on the desk. If the position it's in is uncomfortable for you, pick it up and use it closer to you.