Magic Trackpad Impressions

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
I wanted to use my iMac while sitting on my couch. I found a perfect small table for it, and this setup was great. I could surf the web while commercials were on TV.

I got the magic trackpad to make this possible, as I couldn't move a mouse over the armrest of the couch, and those mice with the big red ball, i'm not too fond of using.

Since the year I have had it, i've never had to go back to the standard mouse. I don't do any gaming on my iMac. My favorite part is the smooth inertia scrolling you get when browsing web pages. The other gestures like minimizing all windows, going to launchpad, or going to the widget screens, and zooming in and out of pictures and enlarging texts are very useful.

The bluetooth connection has been reliable. I like that it takes AA and not AAA's. The battery life is great, and the way it's designed to be opened up with a coin, not needing a screwdriver is a cool touch.

A little pricey, but definitely worth it. Maintains the nice Apple build quality using aluminum and glass. The pad has nice real estate.

If you liked using it on the macbook, and want it for your iMac, you can't go wrong. Using the natural movement of your fingers is much more effortless and comfortable than pushing a mouse around.

clarkn

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2013
I wanted to use my iMac while sitting on my couch. I found a perfect small table for it, and this setup was great. I could surf the web while commercials were on TV.

I got the magic trackpad to make this possible, as I couldn't move a mouse over the armrest of the couch, and those mice with the big red ball, i'm not too fond of using.

Since the year I have had it, i've never had to go back to the standard mouse. I don't do any gaming on my iMac. My favorite part is the smooth inertia scrolling you get when browsing web pages. The other gestures like minimizing all windows, going to launchpad, or going to the widget screens, and zooming in and out of pictures and enlarging texts are very useful.

The bluetooth connection has been reliable. I like that it takes AA and not AAA's. The battery life is great, and the way it's designed to be opened up with a coin, not needing a screwdriver is a cool touch.

A little pricey, but definitely worth it. Maintains the nice Apple build quality using aluminum and glass. The pad has nice real estate.

If you liked using it on the macbook, and want it for your iMac, you can't go wrong. Using the natural movement of your fingers is much more effortless and comfortable than pushing a mouse around.
Mate I agree a very nice product. Had mine for a few days now and it's perfect. I still need the mouse for certain things but other wise I only really use the pad. The gestures make things so much quicker for me.

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
Home is everywhere and nowhere.
Yep, it is great.
The only thing it doesn't do is clicking when on a soft surface, except for that it is great.

Seems like you are running windows or are an (ex)windows user, all those icons on the desktop slows the computer down.;)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Yep, it is great.
The only thing it doesn't do is clicking when on a soft surface, except for that it is great.

Seems like you are running windows or are an (ex)windows user, all those icons on the desktop slows the computer down.;)
Erm did I miss the joke cos that's launch pad...

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I turned on "tap to click" with the built in trackpad on my MacBook Pro. I find it effortless compare to the mechanical click. As a matter of fact, I was troubleshooting a problem on a coworker's Mac and couldn't stand the mechanical click on his MBA. It seems clunky to me.

Yep, it is great.

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I turned on "tap to click" with the built in trackpad on my MacBook Pro. I find it effortless compare to the mechanical click. As a matter of fact, I was troubleshooting a problem on a coworker's Mac and couldn't stand the mechanical click on his MBA. It seems clunky to me.
I never liked the double tap, can't work with it, I always seem to activate double tap.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I never liked the double tap, can't work with it, I always seem to activate double tap.
I am not sure I understand. I was referring to the option where a light tap on the trackpad is registered as a click. I turned that option so that I don't have to click as hard for a click to be registered. I think that may prevent tendonitis in some people.

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I am not sure I understand. I was referring to the option where a light tap on the trackpad is registered as a click. I turned that option so that I don't have to click as hard for a click to be registered. I think that may prevent tendonitis in some people.
I have always used physical clicks, when I turn on tap to click I always end up with accidental input, just can’t avoid it, that's why I don't use it and don't like it.

petererr

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
Hi Congrats on your new gadget.

Since you are sharing your experience using the magic trackpad. Can I ask one thing. When you surf the web on your couch, how do you handle typing? Do you have to put aside first the trackpad which was sitting on your lap, then pick up the keyboard somewhere, typing, then, put it down, and pick up the trackpad??

The question itself is pretty nerdy but I guess I just cannot straighten out the use case in my head...

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Launchpad doesn't have the Dock, or has it, also the background is not the standard one, or is this Lion.

I think I must have missed something, the Dock is there.:eek:
The dock is still visible on launchpad. It's normal. The OP's pic is just a pic showing launchpad.

petererr

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
Hi Congrats on your new gadget.

Since you are sharing your experience using the magic trackpad. Can I ask one thing. When you surf the web on your couch, how do you handle typing? Do you have to put aside first the trackpad which was sitting on your lap, then pick up the keyboard somewhere, typing, then, put it down, and pick up the trackpad??

The question itself is pretty nerdy but I guess I just cannot straighten out the use case in my head...
hmm...I guess macrumors has no subscription messaging system, like when some reply your post, you get notified. Haven't been here for a while.