Magic Trackpad MUCH better than Magic Mouse - 27" iMacs should come with one

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PatriotInvasion, Aug 2, 2010.

1. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Hi All,

For those who have purchased the new iMac or are thinking of purchasing, definitely go with a Magic Trackpad. The Magic Mouse is a little better for dragging and dropping, but the Trackpad is so much more enjoyable to use for everything else:)

Apple should really figure out a way to make this a packaging option rather than a $69 add on.

For those who have one, do you agree?

2. sheareb macrumors member

Yeah, i dont understand the fact you cant remove the mouse and substitute it... means you have keyboard, mouse and trackpad? are they used for different things?

3. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Majority of people want a mouse as standard.

And you have to remember. They can get an extra $69 per sale, of course they'd rather do that.

4. Man-Droid macrumors regular

Don't agree. I toyed around with it for about a half hour. It just feels like working on my PowerBook. I wouldn't mind having both but would much rather have a standard mouse in the box. Using Logic Audio and Photoshop with a track pad is not so much fun.

5. feeth macrumors 6502

6. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I suppose. I'll be using my MTP for casual use, and my Magic Mouse for "mouse-needy" apps like iWork Numbers and stuff like that. Best of both worlds I guess.

I toyed around with having both on my desk, but it just seems awkward to have to decide what to touch/use...haha. So, the Mouse will just be stored away until I need it.

7. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

When it comes down to it, what would you rather use to play fps games or fast rts games like sc? I just can't see the trackpad being the answer to that one. Mice just seem way more convenient and natural.

8. Zoobiee macrumors newbie

how does the trackpad compare with Wacom tablet? Does it have pressure sensitivity as well?

Z

9. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

The trackpad is a big laptop track pad and IMO should be sold separate from the mouse, and in some cases it's better then the mouse (due to the size of the pad to scroll)

10. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

I don't think scrolling should really matter much with surface area, since apple has enabled inertia scrolling for magic mouse (which is great)

Only area I can see trackpad doing better is panning.

11. shadygrove macrumors regular

I just replaced my 5 button mouse with the trackpad. I am a web developer (do the coding and programming side of things) so I don't really need a mouse for uses like other people do.

I have been using a 5 button mouse over the magic mouse because the magic mouse doesn't support expose natively. I love the trackpad and it serves me much better than a mouse did.

I may need a mouse for certain things and in which case I can hook one up, but for the most part it's perfect for me. It's also a great tool to use for watching tv that is hooked up to a computer that is being use a media center machine. This way you can lean back on the couch and not have to worry about a flat viable surface for the optical mouse to reflect a signal against.

12. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

As long as you can have both the trackpad and the Magic Mouse connected to the iMac at the same time I don't see why the iMac shouldn't still come with just a mouse and have the trackpad as an add-on option later.

I think if Apple gave the choice for just a trackpad (no Magic Mouse) many people would kick themselves later and end up having to buy a mouse to use along with the track pad.

that being said, I guess choice is aways nice to have. I will be eventually getting a trackpad for my iMac as well.