Magic Trackpad on iMac: can't see it in SystemPrefs

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wahoo10, Aug 16, 2010.

1. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

Hi all
    My dad has a Jan '10 iMac (27" i7) with SL and all updates on it. I got him a MTpad for his bday recently and we've been having some troubles.

We can connect it via bluetooth and it works (responds to gestures/"clicks") but it doesn't show up in SystemPrefs after it's connected. When we go via the Bluetooth>Apple Magic Trackpad>Open Mouse Preferences, it takes us to the Mouse section in SystemPrefs.

Tried restarting after connecting, tried disconnecting, restarting, re-connecting, restarting again...no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks :eek:

2. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

3. wahoo10 thread starter macrumors 6502

ya know, I kept asking him if he did all of his updates!! Saw the update in my own updates, went in to double check, and sure enough....ugh *facepalm*

Needless to say, he loves it :rolleyes:

4. jmck macrumors newbie

same thing here

I just got a Magic Trackpad to use with my 2007 Mac Mini, and am experiencing the same half-hearted response, it's acting like a generic pointing device. I'm running lion 10.7.2.... so shouldn't require the software update mentioned above.... I tried it on my 27" iMac and my Macbook Pro at work and experienced even less satisfaction.... any ideaS?

5. drambuie macrumors 6502a

The update probably isn't included in the Lion upgrade. It's to support a specific peripheral, namely the Magic Trackpad, and separate from the OS. It wouldn't hurt to try installing the update, which is probably more akin to a driver that's installed as needed.