Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k3lee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2013
District of Columbia
On my late 2012 Mini, after I've used Photoshop for just a little while (less than an hour), my Apple Magic Trackpad stops working - but ONLY in Photoshop. It continues to work in other applications. The keyboard usually continues to work, though it, too, has gone on strike once or twice.

But wait . . . it gets even weirder. The Trackpad will work on the menu bar at the top (e.g., I can usually Save) but not on the tools within Photoshop (e.g., I cannot draw a Text box or Duplicate a layer).

Sometimes I can bring it back by closing every other application I have open. Other times, only a restart will bring it back.

Seems to me this HAS to be a memory issue. Or is this because Adobe doesn't always play nice? I welcome any ideas!

I'm running Mountain Lion (never trusted Mavericks and can't upgrade to Yosemite because it doesn't support faxing and my very basic USB fax modem didn't come with any software of its own) on a 2.3 GHz Intel core i7 with 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 (Crucial).

Last edited:

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
On my late 2012 Mini, after I've used Photoshop for just a little while (less than an hour), my Apple Magic Trackpad stops working - but ONLY in Photoshop. It continues to work in other applications. The keyboard usually continues to work, though it, too, has gone on strike once or twice.

But wait . . . it gets even weirder. The Trackpad will work on the menu bar at the top (e.g., I can usually Save) but not on the tools within Photoshop (e.g., I cannot draw a Text box or Duplicate a layer).

Sometimes I can bring it back by closing every other application I have open. Other times, only a restart will bring it back.

Seems to me this HAS to be a memory issue. Or is this because Adobe doesn't always play nice? I welcome any ideas!

I'm running Mountain Lion (never trusted Mavericks and can't upgrade to Yosemite because it doesn't support faxing and my very basic USB fax modem didn't come with any software of its own) on a 2.3 GHz Intel core i7 with 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 (Crucial).

Wow k3lee, it has been days and none of us have ventured anything! I don't know if it "HAS" to be a memory issue or not. I suppose that is as good a guess as any but it is still just a guess. Here is my best shot...

Bite the bullet and upgrade to Mavericks! Mountain Lion was fine but not trusting that recent mature version of Apples OS X has not helped you at all. I suggest instead that you should not trust that current configuration of yours.

You can upgrade almost painlessly. Just back up your system (or better yet clone it with CCC) and then install Mavericks. Of course you might need to upgrade a few applications to their newer or Mavericks compatible versions. In one or two sessions you could solve that problem and never look back. If I am wrong, you can painlessly retreat to your classic OS X version and pursue other options! :apple:

plagued

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2014
Adobe PS & Trackpad problem.

Hi, I use PS Elements and almost as soon as I started using it with my Mac mini (Late 2012 running 10.10) the track pad started having problems. It seems it is a bug on the Adobe side. I remember reading a set of posts about it on the forum some time ago that suggested it was a long standing and known bug but I can't seem to find them at the moment (I'm sure they are still here somewhere).

The pad can cope with several tasks but (if I remember correctly) selecting some point specific tasks the thing just freezes the user out. I switched back to the magic mouse and it all worked fine. Still, rather poor that the software and the trackpad don't integrate properly.

I expect someone with a better memory or search skills will point us to the original discussion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.