Magic Trackpad + USB Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sammio2, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Sammio2 macrumors regular

Sammio2

Hi There,

Does anyone have any idea / images of how the magic trackpad sits next to the Wired keyboard from Apple. It looks by the images that the wireless keyboard is slightly more angled than the wired version. Just wondered if anyone has any pictures of how the trackpad sits next to the wired keyboard?

Many Thanks
    Sam

2. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

If you align them along the leading edge the alignment isn't perfect, but its pretty good.
    [​IMG]

If you align them along the trailing edge its a bit more noticeable.
    [​IMG]

Looks like the Zed key needs a bit of a wipe down.

3. Becky Austin macrumors member

This is the exact reason why I just bought a wireless keyboard. It just looks better next to the trackpad. I also taped them together from the bottom so they always look like they're one piece.

4. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

The numbers pad on the USB key board is more important to me than an exact match with the mtp. To each his own.

5. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Same with me. Some programs treat the numeric keypad differently to the normal numbers so with a wireless keyboard you are really losing a lot of functionality.

It's a pity though that they don't make a full length wireless keyboard or at least make the wired one look like the wireless.

6. Sammio2 thread starter macrumors regular

Sammio2

Thank you very much! That was exactly what I wanted to see! Like others here, I prefer the number pad to the wireless functionality. I dont think the mismatch is enough to put me off buying the trackpad, but just wanted to double check beforehand!

Again, thank you!

Sam

7. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I guess it all comes down to placing your priorities on functionality or aesthetics. I'm not convinced that the MTP will replace the mouse but the slight mismatch between the MTP and the USB is a non issue for me.

8. Becky Austin macrumors member

I spoke too soon I think... I'm back to my wired USB keyboard and mouse :rolleyes:

The trackpad was nice, but it was harder to control the cursor with just my fingers.

I would like a wired Magic Mouse. I don't really like bluetooth devices very much. Wired devices offer more precision and for some reason the wired mouse is easier to control.

9. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

I agree...while BT is better than RF imo, corded is still more accurate.

10. Sammio2 thread starter macrumors regular

Sammio2

Hmm, you've made me think twice now. Maybe i'll hold off for a bit, I've survived this long without one!

11. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Your loss. (I love mine.) :)

12. Sammio2 thread starter macrumors regular

Sammio2

Hehe, well I'm sure i'll get one eventually!

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I really like mine. You know you are going to cave and get one... just do it! :D

14. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I have my trackpad sitting a few inches away from the keyboard. I never noticed it was larger than the keyboard. Not really caring though because I love the trackpad!

15. Sammio2 thread starter macrumors regular

Sammio2

Hehehe, this forum is the worst for this! Browsing the 'Post Your Mac Setups' and 'Things you just brought' just encourages spending!!

But in this case, i fear you're probably right!

16. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

One person's negative opinion is going to make you hold off???

I just got mine yesterday and have completely adapted. Much easier on my hand. It doesn't quite match with my wired keyboard but don't really care. The number pad is important to me since I input a lot of numbers.

17. Ygn macrumors member

I wondering this exact same thing, they look very nice indeed.. theres not too much difference between the two. This is now on my 'to buy' list!

18. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Since getting mine I have not touched my mouse.

I get along with the Magic Trackpad quite well.

The only downside so far is, it's not good when using google maps. It's really hard to navigate.

Other than that's it's been great.

19. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I got mine yesterday to go with my wired (without numpad) keyboard. I chose wired for the keyboard because I sometimes need to user the keyboard before bluetooth drivers have loaded, so I'd be stuck with just a wireless keyboard.

So far, the Trackpad is way above the Microsoft Intellimouse and the Mighty Mouse that I have. Really responsive and the gestures are really nice.

They both have the same angle when the leading edges are flush, so that's what matters to me :D

20. JAT macrumors 603

Ditto. I've had mine since almost the first day and I love it. I'm actually considering another for work to replace my Expert Mouse trackball. I've been using the Expert for well over a decade and have gotten many people to switch, as well. And it may be going away for the MT.

I don't use Apple's keyboards at all, they don't make what I want.