Magic trackpad vs Bamboo Touch - pre-unibody MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yamamr, Aug 25, 2010.

1. yamamr macrumors newbie

I'm debating whether to get the trackpad or the Bamboo touch.
    Based on this review, the magic trackpad might not function fully on pre-unibody MBP without the built-in multi-touch trackpad.

Anybody had the same experience? Or with the subsequent updates from Apple, the issues have been ironed out?

My setup is a mid-07 Santa Rosa MBP without the advanced Multi-touch functions. Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I have no experience with the Magic Trackpad (MT), but I have that Bamboo Multi Touch Trackpad and have to say, it is not worth it for its multi touch features, as the accompanying software does not really offer that much gestures and I haven't found any 3rd party software (like BetterTouchTool or MagicPrefs) to add some gestures.

3. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

My Bamboo Pen & Touch sits in a drawer. I am a software engineer and I found that the finger gymnastics to cut & paste text (code) was way harder than using a mouse, so I stopped using it. I gave it a full month of dedicated use (no mouse) to ensure that I would really try. I should note that I mainly use my MBP with an external keyboard and mouse both at home and in the office. About the only time I will use the MBP keyboard and touch pad is when I am traveling. While I have not used the magic trackpad, I suspect that I would have the same issues with the cut & paste aspect.

I think in the best of both worlds, Apple would make a external keyboard with a touch pad where the number pad is and then I would have both a mouse and touch pad available at all times without consuming any valuable desk space.

4. Sammio2 macrumors regular

Sammio2

Hey OP, I'm running the same MBP as you, and the Magic Trackpad runs brilliantly. Its the best input device I've ever used! You shouldn't have any problems!