Magic Trackpad w/PM G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by A.Goldberg, Feb 5, 2015.

1. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I have an extra Magic Trackpad laying around that I don't use. My PM G5 does not have bluetooth built in, so I would have to buy a dongle.

So my questions are
    1. Would the Magic Trackpad work at all if I got a BT adapter
    2. Has anyone come up with software to make the gesture work?

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Some folks on here have experimented with it, although I haven't personally.

From what I understand, it will function as a basic pointing device, but not much else. It officially requires 10.6 to work.

The Magic Mouse is much better supported under 10.5, and as far as I know has pretty much full gesture support. Member Altemoose here wrote a script that will enable momentum scrolling under 10.5.

Back before I got into PowerPC Macs and only had a Macbook Pro, I bought a Magic Mouse and returned it after two weeks. I never could get used to the shape of it, or the differences between the gestures on it and the trackpad on my MBP(which I use heavily). I really wish that the Trackpad would work fully under 10.5.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

1. Yes. If using a Bluetooth adapter the trackpad will connect. I highly recommend a Rocketfish Micro USB Bluetooth adapter. They are about $10 on eBay.

2. No. It will only work as a basic pointing device. Gestures like tap to click, two finger scroll, etc. will not work.

Altemoose! :D

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Sorry :)

Maybe all of us here will get your name correct one of these days :)

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

There have been so many versions that it is hilarious. Altemoose, Alternose, Alte, etc.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

This is the one I bought. It's Belkin, about the same price as the one you quote and has a range of 100 meters.

The same vendor sells a different Belkin BT adapter for about a dollar less if range is not an issue. That one is 10 meters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251001290306?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

MODS! Not my auction!!!

7. A.Goldberg thread starter macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg