Magic Trackpad: We have a winner

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by *LTD*, Aug 3, 2010.

1. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

A little awkward at first. If you're used to the trackpad on your MBP, then you're accustomed to swiping and tapping in the "middle" of your body, with your arms and hand(s) positioned close to your body, so be prepared for some adjustment. I feared carpal tunnel problems, but those fears were put to rest. This thing *is* comfortable if you can find your sweet-spot in terms of positioning. Getting it placed right is half the battle.

It'll feel slightly uncomfortable having the pad beside your keyboard at first, but position the pad at a slight angle perhaps. I've got it tilted toward the left a bit. It takes a day or two to make the adjustment and get comfy with the gestures without accidentally tapping or swiping, and then . . . HEAVEN. I love this thing. Very smooth and responsive, just like a Macbook or MBP trackpad. All the gestures are there.

If you *already* prefer a mouse, this probably won't sway you (but try it out anyway, you might be surprised.) But if you long for the swiping and tapping goodness of a Macbook trackpad, this'll give you your fix.

I normally use a Magic Mouse. It's in the drawer now. Since I use my MBP mainly as a desktop with a big display attached to it, I never got a chance to really get into the touch-based gestures of the trackpad. After two days, however, I wouldn't dream of going back.

We're definitely not in Kansas anymore, Toto . . . and I don't wanna go back!

By the way, I tried the Wacom Bamboo Touch for the same thing several months back. Doesn't even compare. If you were unhappy with the Bamboo Touch, definitely give the Magic Trackpad a try.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Have you tried BetterTouchTool yet? Definitely makes it noticeably better.

3. *LTD* thread starter macrumors G4

*LTD*

Tried it for the Magic Mouse, was a bit much. But I'll give it a try for the trackpad. I'd really like to activate Spaces from it, not just Exposé. I have Spaces set to a hot corner, so no big deal, but it would be nice to activate it via a gesture. I'll check it out again.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

BTT is a bit much if you start with too much. I've added a gesture here and there slowly, and now my MM is exactly how I want it.

Start with one or two, and then after a week or two, add a couple more. Rinse and repeat.

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

That's what I do with my magictrackpad. I tried btt with the mouse, but I still truly hate the mouse.

6. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

7. nikehair macrumors member

I just bought an iMac and if I didn't, I would have purchased the Trackpad to use with Windows. It's amazing. I like it more than using a pen tablet.