Magic Trackpad + Wireless KB Troubles - Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by callmemrprez, Oct 22, 2011.

1. callmemrprez macrumors newbie

Okay, so this has been a problem that's been getting worse over time, and now is almost constant - It's very annoying and makes it hard to work!

My Magic Trackpad (Under a year old) will work fine, and then randomly the tracking becomes SUPER jittery, (When moving the cursor in a line, it "jumps" along the trajectory) and it's almost unusable - Then it returns to normal, then in a few seconds it goes back to jittering. It's completely random, and sometimes will work fine for a few hrs, and sometimes it'll be just slightly jittery, then more jittery for a few seconds or minutes.
    My wireless keyboard is also having trouble, but not as bad. Every once and a while, a key will hold, and run (liiiiiike this even though I'm not holding it. It also sometimes disconnects and connects sporadically.

My hardware/setup: Late 2010 Macbook Pro 13", 10.6.8, and both the Magic Trackpad and Wireless KB are less then a year old. I use my MBP in a closed lid operation - It sits in a vertical stand behind my 22" AOC monitor that it's plugged into.

What I've tried:
    Rebooting (Helps for a while, then the problem comes back)
    Moving my laptop closer - Doesn't help either.
    Turning off my keyboard - Doesn't help
    Turning off all other wireless devices (Other Macs, wireless cell repeater, iPhone - None helps)
    Turning off Better Touch Tool (Third party app that allows gesture mapping to key commands and actions on multi-touch Trackpad)
    Resetting PRAM and SMC. No help.
    Running maintenance - Main Menu, (which does Permissions Repair) Disk Warrior, Disk Utility - No help.

Plugging in a wired mouse works FINE; the tracking is smooth and normal on the mouse, but the MT still is jittery.

I'm thinking of trying to downgrade to 10.6.7 to see if that helps??

Any other suggestions?? I'm getting ready to give up on wireless all together and switch to a wired KB and Mighty Mouse.

Thanks.

2. Jameswma macrumors newbie

My track pad was jittery too but i changed the batteries and it worked again. I was using those eneloops but switched to duracells.

3. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

I have the same issues. Mine gets jumpy form time to time too. It's sporadic, sometimes, like now, it just work perfectly. In other times it gets jumpy very often. I tried everything, changed batteries, SMC and PRAM reset, disabling wifi, even got my Magic Trackpad replaced... Nothing really helped. I figured out that it's a lot better when I boot my MBP in safe mode. After I figured that out, I did a complete reinstall form scratch. But the problem did not disappear. I google'd around for a solution. I read several things. Someone reported that it only gets jumpy when time machine is backing up, but that didn't help me.
    Due to its sporadic occurrence, I'm almost sure that some wifi networks from neighbors are interfering with my bluetooth connection. So far, I've not been able to solve the issue.