Magic Trackpad

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stockcerts, Jul 23, 2011.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

Have any of you bought a Magic Trackpad for your iMac since getting Lion? I'm on the fence and wondering what you think. Thanks!

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I didn't buy one Lion was released but I've used one on my iMac for about a year. To be honest I'd never got back to a mouse.

3. petere001 macrumors newbie

are the track pads that good? had my imac for nearly a week now and thinking of getting a trackpad but will be searching here (complete forums) before i make up my mind

Pete

4. SMacDuff macrumors 6502

SMacDuff

Got both Magic Mouse and Trackpad when I purchased my 2011 iMac. The mouse just sits on it's mouse pad. I never use it. The trackpad is wonderful and does everything the mouse does and more. Just bought a TwelveSouth MagicWand to connect the trackpad together to the wireless keyboard.

Besides, with the 27" iMac, I find the the Magic Mouse doesn't track fast enough no matter how I tweak in the settings or with software tweaks.

5. OptyCT macrumors 6502

I bought a trackpad after upgrading to Lion. My magic mouse just sits in the drawer now.

6. DoubleVision19 macrumors member

I never thought I would say this, but I love my trackpad:D I also have the MagicMouse, but I've only used it for about 1day since I've bought my iMac. Maybe it's because I am so used to using my MacBook Pro's trackpad when I'm not using my iMac.

7. g00ner macrumors newbie

Trackpad all the way m8, had a magic mouse, and although it's good, once you get used to the trackpad, you won't go back. :D

8. iwan073 macrumors regular

iwan073

I bought a Magic Trackpad last thursday and I actually like it a lot.

It's so easy to go to Mission Control and switch between different desktops.

9. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

I've used the Magic Trackpad for about a year for now and honestly i never use my Magic Mouse.

In my opinion, combined with the gesture of OS X, especially those in Lions, the Magic Trackpad is the best pointing device on the market for a regular "inside the OS" use (browsing in apps, switch windows, scrolling, etc.)

The concept of a trackpad have some limitation, in some image editing scenario (even then it is still pretty decent for a lot of stuff), and also it suck hard in gaming.

however, for what it is meant to do, the Magic Trackpad perform really really well.

And anyway, about games, even the Magic Mouse suck as a gaming mouse, I have a 20$ Microsoft comfort mouse for gaming and it is way better than playing with the magic mouse.

But for day to day use, i really can't live without the Magic Trackpad anymore.

10. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

The thread's title may be attracting a biased sampling. Perhaps a counter-thread ("Magic Trackpad Blows Chunks") might serve well as a counter-example?

I adore my Magic Mouse. I want to embrace the Trackpad, but each time I demo one in a store, I leave empty-handed. Is cohabitation necessary for learning to love?

11. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

Haha, that title would definitely increase the sample of this survey, I think :cool:

I have never been a fan of Apple mice, and have always used a logitech mouse with a rollerball by the right-handed thumb when I need to work on a desktop. Now, I do own a MBP, which has the trackpad built in, and find myself only using that mouse with other computers that lack the trackpad, or when I want to play Portal 2 on my mac (the trackpad just doesn't cut it there). I would imagine that the trackpad for the iMac would be just as pleasant to use in an every day setting... however, if you do any amount of gaming, I could see how the trackpad could be less than desirable.

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I do like the trackpad ove the magic mouse but it is not as accurate. it is more labor intensive highlighting text and such. I do things accidentally more with it. I would not use it for cad work and such. plus like the mouse it sucks batteries. when a wireless mouse from ms or logitech can go a year or more on a set of batteries verses 2 weeks thats a huge difference.

13. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Had one since the day they were released, use it, or the mouse as the mood suits me, wouldn't be without either

14. TA031 macrumors newbie

Last I checked, the iMac was not a laptop. Do you take your desktop computers on the road?

15. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Your point?

Because last time I checked, Magic TrackPad is much bigger than any found on laptop (even MacBooks) today .. making it not so good on the road :rolleyes:

Most importantly, have you tried one for your Mac, especially with Lion? Cause it's addictive, totally

16. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Before Lion I would have said it's going to be a personal preference/opinion type call but since Lion's release it's become very apparent with the new gestures a Track Pad seems to be a little better for me. I had been using the Track Pad with SL and it was ok. I still missed the mouse but was trying to force myself to use the TP long enough to get a real good personal usage opinion. Lion on the other hand has made me put my mouse away and not look back even on my 27 inch iMac. It seems so much more like the iPad or iPhone navigation yet on the large screen.

It's still going to be a personal use decision but for me I like the Track Pad w/Lion.

17. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

I love my trackpad but for image editing I use y magic mouse. The sliders are too hard to use with the track pad.

18. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for all the input! I may visit the Apple store tomorrow and take the plunge!

19. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I'm so pumped to get my track pad. I'll really miss using the mouse though, because it IS super sexy :( haha

20. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Get it on amazon. No tax free shipping and cheaper.

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I wish it did not eat batteries like they are oreo's

22. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

It devours the entire package of batteries by dipping them in milk and then feeling guilty afterwards?

23. scrob macrumors member

Nice one, I hadn't seen the MagicWand before, just ordered one :)

24. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

I ordered one, it will be here tomorrow. I will let you know what I think then, as someone who detested the track pad on my windows laptop it will be an interesting experiment.

25. sumone macrumors regular

Guess i'll be the one opponent.

Honestly I'm not a fan of the magic trackpad anymore. I recently picked up a MBP and the trackpad was one of the most exciting new features of it to me. I decided I wanted to set my MBP up to an external monitor so I bought a BT keyboard and magic trackpad.

I find that I use a mouse way more than I use the magic trackpad. As it has been mentioned before on this site the trackpad isn't necessarily the most comfortable to use over extended periods of time and I have noticed that unless I keep my trackpad at the edge of my desk I always have to keep my hand up at an angle. It's nice for the gestures but personally I prefer a standard mouse.