Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Is it a good time to buy the trackpad? Any indication of apple adding force touch to a new model?

JoePa2624

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2014
AZ
Highly doubtful they'll redesign it. If you're unsure, just buy one secondhand. I'm sure you can get a good deal on a used one.

g33k

macrumors member
May 12, 2015
It'll be years until they redesign the Magic Trackpad. Hell, it'll be years until they redesign the Magic Mouse and Wireless Keyboard, too.

KingArthurVI

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Penang, Malaysia
TBH I think an update might be coming soon, because with the Force Touch-only features packed into OS X, the desktops (iMac, Mac Pro, Mac Mini...) are left out because they don't have a built-in trackpad that has Force Touch, and the magic trackpad is the only gateway to Force Touch goodness for those machines.

thailazer

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2013
I just bought the new wedge style track pad today and am very disappointed. At 141 dollars out the door with tax, I thought it would be the end all. As it turn out, it is NOT capable of doing single finger, double click scrolling with El Capitan which was a great feature with the MacBook trackpad a decade ago. The whole mechanical system also feels quite clunky. How they could eliminate that double click scrolling feature is beyond comprehension. I am returning it tomorrow. This track pad is a miss in my book.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.