Magical Airport Extreme Base Station IP problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gwyner, Oct 27, 2010.

1. gwyner macrumors newbie

Equipment:
    -1x Airport Extreme Base Station, Firmware 5.7, Model A1034 - the old flying saucer shaped one
    -1x Cable Modem. DHCP IP allocation.
    -1x Powerbook

I just swapped out my old cable modem that was unhappy for a new one today. If I plug it into my computer, I get this IP address: xx.xxx.212.198 and everything works great. If I plug it into my Airport, I get this IP address: xx.xxx.212.134, and nothing works at all. I called my ISP and they're saying that whatever router I'm plugging it into is holding onto an old IP address, and I need to reset it and get it to let that old one go.

Fast forward 10x software resets, uploading firmwares, reset to factory defaults, a hard reset with a paperclip, and I'm still stuck with that stupid .134 IP address. What gives?

2. gwyner thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that's kind of silly. I set it to manual and just stuck in the .198 IP. Now it works, though for how long, who knows?

Any ideas on how to keep this working once my DHCP lease expires?

3. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

no idea. Have you tried asking apple? =)

4. gwyner thread starter macrumors newbie

"Dear Apple, I have this 6 year old device from you..can I still get free phone support?" :p

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

did you reboot the modem after you changed from the laptop to the airport?

6. gwyner thread starter macrumors newbie

Good question..yes, I did. Seems to be working fine so far with a static IP, so we'll see if I lose my DHCP lease in a week, and by then maybe the base station will have forgotten that old broken IP.

7. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

The first two octets aren't 169.254 are they?

8. gwyner thread starter macrumors newbie