Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Pokémon Company has launched a new iPhone and iPad game revolving around one of the weakest Pokémon ever, Magikarp.

magikarp-jump-1.jpg

Magikarp Jump, available now on the App Store [Direct Link], tasks players with raising multiple generations of Magikarp by feeding and training them to increase their Jump Power and overall level. Players can then battle--try to jump higher than--other Magikarp in six leagues to increase their personal Trainer Rank.

As a player's Trainer Rank increases, additional food and training upgrades can be purchased from the Town with coins, which are awarded for various in-game tasks such as winning league battles. A higher Trainer Rank also allows players to fish for additional Magikarp with different designs.

Magikarp Jump is entirely free to play, but diamonds are available as optional in-app purchases for players who wish to buy pond decorations and other items that help Magikarps grow and train even faster.

Magikarp Jump is not nearly as sophisticated as Pokémon GO, but with a number of achievements to complete, it's a decent way to pass the time on a train ride home or a lazy Sunday afternoon. You'll also see other classic Pokémon such as Pikachu and Pidgeotto appear at times for a bit of nostalgia.

magikarp-jump-2.jpg

Magikarp Jump is a free download on the App Store [Direct Link] for iPhone and iPad.

Article Link: Magikarp Jump Launches as Latest Pokémon Game for iPhone and iPad

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Look how the trainer resembles Diamond. Pokémon Diamond remake for 3DS confirmed.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Look how the trainer is Diamond. Pokémon Diamond remake for 3DS confirmed.

If Nintendo has any sense, they've killed all future development on the *DS and, apart from the titles already announced for release this year, are exclusively working on the Switch.

It was splitting their developers between 3DS and Wii U that lead to neither platform living up to its potential.

It worked alright with the DS and Wii because third parties were there to flesh out Nintendo's catalog of games for the platforms. That's never happening with the 3DS, and isn't really happening with the Switch yet. It's not going to happen unless Nintendo can generate hundreds of millions of sales of the Switch like they did with the Wii.
[doublepost=1495730708][/doublepost]So... can you evolve it into a Gyarados?

Also, why is it that Magikarp respects gravity and flops around on the ground when it's out of water, but Goldeen floats upright just as effortlessly in air as in the water?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I love these mini games from Pokemon. I mean, yeah they're entirely empty and dull experiences compared to the full fat 3DS games. But they're nice time wasters.

vdot90

Cancelled
Jul 1, 2015
If Nintendo has any sense, they've killed all future development on the *DS and, apart from the titles already announced for release this year, are exclusively working on the Switch.

It was splitting their developers between 3DS and Wii U that lead to neither platform living up to its potential.

It worked alright with the DS and Wii because third parties were there to flesh out Nintendo's catalog of games for the platforms. That's never happening with the 3DS, and isn't really happening with the Switch yet. It's not going to happen unless Nintendo can generate hundreds of millions of sales of the Switch like they did with the Wii.
[doublepost=1495730708][/doublepost]So... can you evolve it into a Gyarados?

Also, why is it that Magikarp respects gravity and flops around on the ground when it's out of water, but Goldeen floats upright just as effortlessly in air as in the water?

Nintendo nerd here. They actually had a separate portable and console team in the past, which was why the 3/DS was fundamentally different from the Wii/Wii U. It was only a year or so ago that they have decided to combine the two teams together – leading to the new console hybrid, the Nintendo Switch. Either way, 3DS is slowly but surely on its way out as they place their focus on Mobile (kid's first gaming experience) and Switch (their main money maker).

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Look how the trainer resembles Diamond. Pokémon Diamond remake for 3DS confirmed.

Why not Switch? Remaking a DS game for 3DS seems a bit pointless to me. 3DS has backwards compatibility so you could just play the original. Plus 3ds graphics are crap so it would be a wasted effort in my opinion.

Reactions: ArtOfWarfare

apb89

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
Am I missing something with this game? Like can I not control Magikarp's jumping?

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Why not Switch? Remaking a DS game for 3DS seems a bit pointless to me. 3DS has backwards compatibility so you could just play the original. Plus 3ds graphics are crap so it would be a wasted effort in my opinion.
Pokemon Company has always preferred mobile gaming for Pokemon, because it fits the nature of the game better (trading with other players), so the Switch definitely has high potential for the main Pokemon games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.