magnet has ruined my hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NumeroTen, Jan 24, 2011.

1. NumeroTen macrumors member

NumeroTen

There was a magnet on my desk, those sizzling magnets that make a noise and are quite strong, and they somehow stuck on my macbook pro as i was using it, and it froze... I force shut the computer, but it is now running 1000x slower, and nothing is opening on my computer. Will turning it off for a while help? Or do i need to get this fix? How? Helppppp!!!!!

2. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

boot from an external disk OR target disk mode it to another Mac and then erase and install.

3. NumeroTen thread starter macrumors member

NumeroTen

Yeaa i know, but i have a websitee all saved on this comouter even though i've time machined it indon't have it updated on my external passport on my monthly update...

4. brentsg macrumors 68030

Ok but the reality is that you likely destroyed your data.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's highly unlikely that your data has been erased or your hard drive ruined, if it was a conventional magnet.

Magnet to Hard Drive

6. NumeroTen thread starter macrumors member

NumeroTen

Yes, it is a conventional magnet it is a magnet u find at walmart at the toy section that makes sounds. It's power is probably less than half a pound, but i dont know what is going on. Was it the force shutdown?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Possibly. Just reboot your system and repair permissions with Disk Utility. See if that helps. There's no need to reinstall your OS until you've exhausted less drastic solutions.

8. NumeroTen thread starter macrumors member

NumeroTen

Okay it after i revavluated it more there is nothing wrong with the OS itself just the applications seem to be a bit damaged I will try your method now, and if it goes wrong i will just debug my website file trhough coding, and after backing up through externals clear the hard drive.

9. Mikey7c8 macrumors regular

Don't use the drive. Boot from something else - clean install if you have to. Extract what you can from the drive, which hopefully is everything that's missing from the backup. Erase, reinstall.

Playing with fire any other way IMHO.

10. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

While it might now wipe your drive it can slow down your drive.
    I had worked on a clients machine that was littered with magnets on the side of the G5 and was complaining it didnt seem as fast. Checked everything out, seemed fine. i unplugged everything saw there were magnets on the side (near the HDD bays) took them all off and ran just fine without any tweaking.

So it can happen but best bet i wouldnt put magnets on your machine really..just my 2¢