Magnet Latch Weak

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zillicah, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Zillicah macrumors member

My magnet latch is extremely weak, if I hole the computer upside down the latch unlocks and screen opens or even if i hold it on the side at a small angle. So im taking it to to the apple store, can they fix this at the apple store and if so how long? If they cant what do they do and how long will that take?

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

If I hold my macbook upside down it opens too, its not meant to keep it shut upside down. Then it would be annoyingly hard to open. If I hold mine up at about a 30 degree angle it pops open as well. Just get a case for it if you are worried about it opening when it is upside down in a backpack or something. I have an Incase black sleeve and it is great. The magnet is just to make sure that it doesn't randomly pop open, not hold it closed under any circumstances.

3. John01021988 macrumors 6502

I have the same problem, but my issue is that I bought a keyboard cover. My screen does not close completely (5mm< gap) and I feel that its very easy for it to open while carrying it around. Thanks God I bought the InCase sleeve, and like touchdownjesus4 said, it holds it closed while carrying it. Is any way I could get the magnets replaced? If I am not mistaken, replacing them would be an extremely difficult job because the magnets sit below the glass in the screen, and removing the glass is not easy.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

It is possible for magnets to weaken over time but not really probable. I think getting new magnets would be a waste of money and you would notice almost no difference between the new ones and the old ones. It could be that a hinge is loose if it comes open more than it should. But like you said, the problem resides in the keyboard cover.

OP,I would just not worry about it and get a case for it, that is the easiest, cheapest solution.