Magnet on lid on Macbook repels instead of attracts (closes)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by douglh, Aug 2, 2009.

1. douglh macrumors member

Has anybody heard of this or found a solution? My Macbook 13 inch aluminum unibody has, of course, a magnet that keeps the lid closed when it's supposed to be closed. But the magnet repels instead! I close the lid, set it down and the lid pops up!! This started happening about 2 weeks ago; the 'Book is about 3 months old. Any suggestions?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Mine does this too on occasion. It's not so much the magnet but the hinge being too strong. If I press down on the hinge area once the MB is closed it will start staying shut again.

3. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

well thats not supposed to happen so i suggest both of you go to an apple store or call up applecare.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I think it happens to mine because I store it against the side of the couch standing on it's side. This puts a little bit of pressure on the side edge of the screen where the optical drive it and will rarely cause it to pop open like 1/8" or so.

That's what I should probably change, but it's such an ingrained habit, this is just my first laptop without a latch to hold the screen shut.