Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
And why?
I'm using Sierra 10.12 right now.
(I could buy both and try out, but I'll try crowd intelligence first.)
BST was updated Oct-17, MGNT Feb-17 (how they could add HS support that early...?)

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
And why?
I'm using Sierra 10.12 right now.
(I could buy both and try out, but I'll try crowd intelligence first.)
BST was updated Oct-17, MGNT Feb-17 (how they could add HS support that early...?)

Crowd intelligence or heard mentality ? It's so hard to ascertain which is which these days. :D

Joking aside, what will proceed next is quite likely a set of replies with folk extolling the virtues of one while slamming or at least critiquing the other.

I use Magnet myself. It does the job. Better than BetterSnapTool? Well, it was a buck cheaper, so...

There are others as well, Hyperdock for example, apparently has windows snapping functionality.

I just looked at features listed by each tool, considered what features I personally needed, and the price.

Just take any preferences that may be listed here with a here with a huge block of salt. Everyone's different and, as a result, everyone uses their Mac differently from everyone else. What is a must have feature for one (be it price, snap positions etc.) will be ho-hum for someone else.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
BST has floating menu, (activated perhaps with some user defined keyboars shortcut?), Magnet just menubar menu. Although Magnets menu looks cleaner.
Would you use floating menu, if Magnet would have it?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
BST has floating menu, (activated perhaps with some user defined keyboars shortcut?), Magnet just menubar menu. Although Magnets menu looks cleaner.
Would you use floating menu, if Magnet would have it?

No idea, will cross that bridge if I come to it. I have Magnet and until it stops working the way I need it to, I can't see myself changing any time soon.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I used to use Cinch ($7), but I found that I prefer more than just window snapping. I use SizeUp now. It works fantastic, and only costs $13 (free if you're willing to put up with a pop-up ad once in a while).

Last edited:

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
And SizeUp is better than Magnet or BST because...?
I didn't say it was better. I've never used Magnet. I personally think it's better than Better Snap Tool (which I have used) because it's more focused of an app, but still has plenty of features. The GUI is nicer, too. It's all a matter of personal taste.

Reactions: toke lahti

Stoomkracht

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2019

other more recent thread discussing same with some other options.

Reactions: toke lahti
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.