Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olidee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2017
Hi everyone. I finally bit the bullet and ordered myself a new macbook pro to replace my aging macbook air. Now that I'll no longer have their "original" power charging port - can you guys let me know your tried and tested favorites on aftermarket breakaway cables? My awful dog will quickly destroy my new beautiful macbook if I don't get one pronto. Cheers!

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
if you're referred to the MagSafe cord/charger, there's a zillion of them for sale on eBay ($15 or so). I bought one when my MacBook Air charger failed and it didn't last long. The NEXT one is a regular Apple product BECAUSE I didn't want to take a chance on frying my MBA.

olidee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2017
I meant the aftermarket ones for the newer Macbooks since they use thunerports for it now. Lots out there but all of them seem to have questionable reviews. Just wondering if anyone can vouch for one or two of them in particular.

olidee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2017
Looking at the diagram (the Griffin one) - does that require the old power brick?

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I've been looking for one of these as well. However, all third party offerings I have seen are not USB IF-Certified (I'm not sure if such a product can be - and, if it can't, I don't know if I would use one regardless of where it is being sold.) The Griffin has quite a few relatively bad reviews. Some other products from less known makers, such as this, have much better reviews - but the validity of many of the reviews are questionable-at-best. The lack of IF-Certification on all of them concerns me given the questionable safety of some uncertified & noncompliant USB-C charge cables.

Reactions: kebrone

kebrone

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2017
I've been looking for one of these as well. However, all third party offerings I have seen are not USB IF-Certified (I'm not sure if such a product can be - and, if it can't, I don't know if I would use one regardless of where it is being sold.) The Griffin has quite a few relatively bad reviews. Some other products from less known makers, such as this, have much better reviews - but the validity of many of the reviews are questionable-at-best. The lack of IF-Certification on all of them concerns me given the questionable safety of some uncertified & noncompliant USB-C charge cables.

Great findings! Any idea where to find all USB-C certified product? Does usb the organization have a list of all the products who have this certification? Maybe we can find one magnetic thing there.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Great findings! Any idea where to find all USB-C certified product? Does usb the organization have a list of all the products who have this certification? Maybe we can find one magnetic thing there.

This is the list I've used when crosschecking charge cables for my Macs with USB-C - I've preferred to purchase something that was both on the IF compliance list and Benson tested & approved
https://www.usb.org/kcompliance/view/USB Type-C Cable Certifications.pdf

To date none of the magnetic cables have appeared on this list to my knowledge, and I am not sure how long a certification takes or how often the IF updates the list :(

Further, to my knowledge, none of the USB-C charge cables with magnetic breakaway capabilities have been Nathan K or Benson tested/approved :( :(

(given they have demonstrated that noncompliant cables can present both a hazard to the electronics and a hazard to personal safety, that's kind of pushed me in the direction of preferring compliant cables - it's even made me weary of hubs with passthrough charging given virtually none have such independent certification.)

kebrone

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2017
This is the list I've used when crosschecking charge cables for my Macs with USB-C - I've preferred to purchase something that was both on the IF compliance list and Benson tested & approved
https://www.usb.org/kcompliance/view/USB Type-C Cable Certifications.pdf

To date none of the magnetic cables have appeared on this list to my knowledge, and I am not sure how long a certification takes or how often the IF updates the list :(

Further, to my knowledge, none of the USB-C charge cables with magnetic breakaway capabilities have been Nathan K or Benson tested/approved :( :(

(given they have demonstrated that noncompliant cables can present both a hazard to the electronics and a hazard to personal safety, that's kind of pushed me in the direction of preferring compliant cables - it's even made me weary of hubs with passthrough charging given virtually none have such independent certification.)

Thanks for the list. I read a lot of people complaint about the Griffin cable, and for some it does not charge properly the 15" Macbook Pro. Maybe they will update the cable in the next version which is better, but I totally agree with you! Do update this thread if you find a cable which is certified. Thanks

Reactions: ZapNZs

kebrone

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2017

Just found out that it cannot be IF-certified because it does not pass data.

Reactions: ZapNZs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.