Magnetic Car Mount and wireless charging

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by GomerBoy, Oct 18, 2018.

1. GomerBoy macrumors 6502

I recently bought this magnetic car mount that supports wireless charging.

https://themagnetmount.com/collections/products/products/wireless-charging-mount

It does the job and charges my iPhone 8 Plus even with a Speck Show case on the phone (my Otterbox Commuter case was too thick and didn’t work). I am worried about having the metal ring on the inside of the case (need the metal ring so the phone can attach to the car mount)...will that interfere with the charging capabilities or damage the battery over time?

What is the best combined magnetic car mount and wireless charger on the market?

2. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

I put the plate on the bottom of my phone, so that it doesn’t interfere with the wireless charging

3. GomerBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you have this wireless car charger too? That makes sense, but it is only a small circular mount...if I put the metal ring on the bottom of the phone then it won’t be big enough to reach the part of the phone to wireless charge (which is in the center)?

4. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

I dont have this particular one, I somehow missed that this was a wireless charger/mount. o_O I believe the ring should go around the charging part, just not sure how sturdy it is to hold up a phone

5. GomerBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I think the ring doesn’t cover the QI charging area on the iPhone, so it is probably fine. It’s just the fact that needing to put a magnetic ring on either the back of the phone or inside the case is annoying...

I might look into buying the Speck Presidio Mount case with the magnets already built into the case...

6. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

that Speck should do the trick...I've also read good thinks about the Pitaka case - https://amzn.to/2R58OU7- although its on the expensive side