Magnetic Car Mount with 11

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
So I’m moving into the world of phones with wireless charging with my 11 that should be here later this week. I have a 7 Plus that I’ve used a plate and magnet mount in the car for years now. However, I’m curious if it would be ok to do that now that I have a phone that can wirelessly charge? I see there are several mounts out there that supposedly charge wirelessly that use magnets so I would guess it’s fine, however most reviews I’ve found here suggest that they don’t charge much when actually being used.

Reactions: Dizle

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
FWIW, maybe it’s a option? I’ve just always used Evutec case that has magnetics built in. I like their cases and feel price is fair with mount etc. Maybe something for you too check out. Never had wireless charge or Apple Pay problems with it either.

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
FWIW, maybe it’s a option? I’ve just always used Evutec case that has magnetics built in. I like their cases and feel price is fair with mount etc. Maybe something for you too check out. Never had wireless charge or Apple Pay problems with it either.
I’ll take a look at those. Thanks!

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
So I’m moving into the world of phones with wireless charging with my 11 that should be here later this week. I have a 7 Plus that I’ve used a plate and magnet mount in the car for years now. However, I’m curious if it would be ok to do that now that I have a phone that can wirelessly charge? I see there are several mounts out there that supposedly charge wirelessly that use magnets so I would guess it’s fine, however most reviews I’ve found here suggest that they don’t charge much when actually being used.
I have an Iottie something touch that is NOT magnetic but holds the phone nicely - with wireless charging. I mounted it to one that goes in the cup holder and it works great. I didn’t want to stick a magnet in the case or tied down to a magnet case.

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I have an Iottie something touch that is NOT magnetic but holds the phone nicely - with wireless charging. I mounted it to one that goes in the cup holder and it works great. I didn’t want to stick a magnet in the case or tied down to a magnet case.
Do you have a link to that?

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
There are several cases with magnets built in like the Evutec that was previously mentioned. Speck had one for the XS, so I assume they'll be making them for the 11 as well. But if you want to go with your own case, just place the magnetic plates above and/or below the charging coil and it will not affect wireless charging.

dwfaust

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2011
I am a huge fan of the Pitaka cases...magnets built in... and work perfectly with wireless charging (Mophie, cheap Chinese chargers, etc), including the Pitaka chargers.

Dizle

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
The Beach
Will the Evutec work with a regular circular magnetic base? I don’t want to use a silly vent mount, need that airflow!