Magnetic Car mounts with 8 or X

thenobody

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
So with wireless charging on the 8/8 plus/X now placing the metal plate for magnetic mounts on the back of the phone will likely interfere with the wireless charging.

Can anyone else with an 8 and a magnetic car mount confirm if the iPhone will stick to the mount without needing the metal plate?
Specially I'll be concerned with how the X holds.

My Samsung S6 with wireless charging can be held to the magnetic mounts without a plate but not as securely.

And what other solutions will people be looking at now with these phones if the plate can't be used?

planetgirth

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2013
I am willing to bet that it will not stick to the magnet without a piece of metal either on the phone or the case. The back is glass and not magnetic. Even the 6 or 7 with metal backs are not magnetic because they are aluminum.

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
I am willing to bet that it will not stick to the magnet without a piece of metal either on the phone or the case. The back is glass and not magnetic. Even the 6 or 7 with metal backs are not magnetic because they are aluminum.
I think the OP was talking about magnetic cases.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
With the 8 you just have to move the magnetic disk to the lower part of the case so that it doesn’t interfere with wireless charging. I don’t think anyone knows yet if it will work with the X.

andyw715

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2013
Maybe instead of a metal plate, a metal ring or something?
[doublepost=1509128892][/doublepost]If you don't care about Qi charging, will having a plate and subsequent use of the magnetic base harm any thing with the phone? Some strange induction or anything?

thenobody

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
I think the OP was talking about magnetic cases.
No I was talking about the standard magnetic mounts that you get the metal plates to put on your phone or between your phone or your case.

I found that with the Samsung S6 the phone itself will stick to the magnetics of the mount without needing a plate - even with a case on. It must be something with the wireless charging components behind the back cover in the phone (the back cover itself it not magnetic either).

So I wondering if the iPhone 8 and X will behave the same - ie. somehow stick to the magnets without needing a plate.

PM-Performance

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
i was told it will not interfere, but I have had the magnet discs in my cases on my 7 and my wifes 6s and daughters 6s. Both my 7 and my wife's 6s were nightmares to deal with random issues. I deep down feel they were related to these strong magnets in some way. i wont be using them going forward

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
The 8 does not stick to a magnetic mount without a metal plate. I did notice I could mount my iPhone 7+ upside down on a magnetic mount by sticking the bottom of the phone to the mount.

PM-Performance

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
I didnt think any of them would stick without having the magnetic disc stuck to the phone or the case. Arent the phones aluminum? Aluminum is not magnet that I am aware of