Magnetic closure on a laptop bag?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by camico, Jul 16, 2010.

1. camico macrumors newbie

This was probably already asked, but I used MRoogle and couldn't find it.

I found a nice bag I like for my 13" MBP (getting it next week!), but it isn't made for laptops... just a nice-looking bag. It has a magnetic closure on the top, which worries me. Would it be dangerous to put a small magnet near a computer all the time?

Another question... if the magnet thing is a no go, I might buy the Vera Bradley Laptop Portfolio (which I saw on someone at the Apple Store and loved!). Its dimensions are 17" x 12" and the laptop's are 13" x 8". It claims to be adaptable, but I don't know how I feel about that. To those of you who already have cases: would a bigger case be fine to use, or would it be a bad idea?

Thanks for any help! I'm new to MacRumors, and you have all been very helpful as I plan my MBP purchase!

2. eddiexhart macrumors regular

eddiexhart

Bump!

Anybody? I found a cool bag and was thinking about use magnets to use as a closure.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

About the magnet issue.

You need to have a really, really big or really strong magnet to damage an HDD. As the current MacBooks and MBPs employ magnets as there closure mechanism, I think, that another pair of small magnets does not harm in any way.

How to Destroy a Hard Drive With a Magnet

via "hdd magnet"