Magnetic dust clogging power port

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jtibbitt, Sep 9, 2009.

1. jtibbitt macrumors regular

jtibbitt

The power port has got some type of magnetic filth. I've tried everything from a wet cloth to scrubbing with a toothbrush to a wire brush. And there is still some crap that does not want to come out. Does anyone know a trick people use to get that port clean?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

It just be discoloration of the metal from the contacts...if it's charging fine don't worry about it.

3. jtibbitt thread starter macrumors regular

jtibbitt

No. When I try cleaning it with a toothbrush or wet cloth, it moves the dust around. But it will not clear it out. The power works, but the connector is not totally flush. It's really annoying. But I just thought of another possible cleaning method; jam a sticky piece of tape in there and pull dust to stick out.

4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

All you did by using a wire brush was make it worse with the filings that came off. :D

Like already stated... if it's charging don't worry about it.

5. jtibbitt thread starter macrumors regular

jtibbitt

Good guess, but no detectable filings came off when scraping it. The power port is, in fact, pretty durable. But I don't like to have metal dust trapped in there blocking a clear connection. It should be flush, not charging through a partial blockage.