Magnetic Macbook Pro LCD latch does not work.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MossyForest, Apr 6, 2010.

1. MossyForest macrumors newbie

I actually thought the new macbook pros didn't come with a Magnetic LCD latch anymore.
    When I got my macbook, the latch simply didn't work whatsoever. I've only had my macbook for less than a month and a half. and I know that magnets should last at least a decade or so.
    Is it possible to get a new macbook since its obvious the internal magnet was never magnetized during production?
    I dont really want to get a new macbook all over again but then again im tired of it having debris from my backpack fall into the keyboard/lcd area.
    Any insight/experience regarding this issue is greatly appreciated.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Do you have a keyboard protector or a palm rest protect? I have one and I know it greatly decreases the strength of the magnetic attraction. Also if this is really bad, you can always get it fixed by Apple.

3. MossyForest thread starter macrumors newbie

No I dont. however, I do have a speck plastic cover covering the outside of the macbook. but before i got it the magnet still did not work. would they give me a new computer? if so, how long would it take? I am in maryland until saturday morning. Would they just switch out the computer's HD and give me a new computer or...?

4. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Actually they should last for 100s of years

5. Norton74 macrumors newbie

Norton74

I'd look into getting a neoprene sleeve for it to protect it in your backpack anyway. They are only $20-$40 and a good piece of mind.:cool:

Give Apple a call and see what they say about a replacement or fix. I doubt they, or you, would want to replace the whole laptop because of it, but it's worth a try. Let us know what they come up with.

6. MossyForest thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I went to the apple store in pentagon city and they said its the hinge that is defective. they found loads of other problems with the black plastic cover.
    They said they'd have to send my macbook out for repairs and it would take 5-7 days. That simply wont work since i am 2500 miles from my house.
    I guess I gotta wait. Maybe I can wait till the new macbooks come out and they may replace my laptop with a new mbp's come out.

7. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

That 5 to 7 days for repairs estimate the Pentagon City Apple Store gave you seems unduly pessimistic if my experience is any guide. I have had the OKC Apple Store send in my Powerbook G4 twice and my MBP once. On each occasion, they air expressed them to the repair facility and they got air expressed back. Each time, I got the repaired compter back the afternoon of the second day after I had left it at the Apple Store.

8. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

You can wait, but this is not gonna happen.