Magnetic pics on the side of a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by big_malk, Jul 25, 2007.

1. big_malk macrumors 6502a

I was looking at buying dry wipe marker board, and planning to use magnetic pins to hold up letter and things so I can find them easily, but I don't have much wall space to spare... then it occurred to me...
    The side of my mac pro being metal, and right there on my desk, would be the perfect place to pin things where I can see them!?

But, magnets and hard drives... maybe not.

I'm sure those little magnets won't be nearly powerful to do any harm through the metal enclosure... but I don't want to be the first person to try it...? Anyone thought of this before?

Plus, I'm not sure I won't to degrade my beautiful Mac by turning it into a common pin board.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Magnet + HDD= GLOBAL THERMONUCLEAR WAR. Or the computing equivalent thereof. Sure, they're just fridgesque magnets, but I personally wouldn't take the chance. Oh, and about Mac defacement: If I see an Apple product in poor condition (usually an iPod), I take it from the owner, clean it to the best of my ability, and give it back with an admonishing note. Everyone is usually great about it, and if they're not, after I have cleaned a small patch of their Mac they change their tune. What I'm trying to say is: Anyone who defaces a Mac by putting anything on it non-Apple (*shudder* STICKERS...) doesn't appreciate their Mac. But that's just me. I'm glad, though, that you feel apprehensive about hanging something on your Mac Pro.

"It's BETTER than a pin board." Keep telling yourself that. ;)

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It takes a strong magnet to harm a drive. The MB/Ps have magsafe and the iMacs have the magnet to hold the remote. That said I still would not suggest placing magnets on your Mac Pro, it's just asking for trouble.

4. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

MacPro enclosure is aluminum - magnets DO NOT work on aluminum

Surely you are not going to tape/glue some metal board to you Mac so you can stick magnets to it :eek::eek::eek:

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Ever seen the inside of an Intel iMac? the magnet for the Remote is on the bottom right, while the hard drive is near the upper left. Why? Hmm... You're right, though; magnets that weak couldn't do too much damage. Still, better safe than being beyond disk permission repair. I'm talking WAY beyond...

6. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

my thoughts exactly..try putting a magnet on a pop can..doesnt work does it? NOPE

:)

7. newton213 macrumors member

Why does the magnet in an iSight work anywhere on top of a Cinema Display then? It's aluminum like a Mac Pro too, right? Well, it does have a crazy big magnet in it. I once got one a little too close to an eMac, and the screen went ca-razay!

8. MacTO macrumors member

MacTO

Sometimes it's funny to see that some people think of things that I thought of attempting... :D

but then what is mentioned above is exactly what I thought next... :rolleyes:

And my guess is just THAT, but I haven't EXPERIMENTED it, so I wouldn't know the answer. Bottom line is that, though, I rather buy a letter holder or something to do the job. Nothing goes onto my 'just simply beautiful' Mac Pro. I love it as is. :apple:

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

An eMac is a CRT, not an LCD display.. The electron beams inside a 'tube' are deflected by magnetism, which is why the screen went crazy.

I assume that if the magnet mount for the iSight works on the Cinema display, then there's some ferrous metal inside the display, right? Perhaps because the Cinema display doesn't have any drives or data processing, Apple made it that way?

10. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

First, magnets will not stick to the aluminum enclosure of the Mac Pro.

Second, your magnets will not harm the hard drive at all. It would take a ridiculously strong magnet to do damage to modern drives. Has anyone opened a hard drive? There are very strong magnets already in it!

Third, there has to be a better spot on a wall somewhere...