Magnetic portion of Magsafe Extension Cable?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by radioactive, Jan 5, 2013.

  1. radioactive macrumors member

    Nov 25, 2006
    I bought a Thunderbolt display yesterday, and hooked it up to my mini, but would like to power my MBP as well from the pigtale. As the other posters have noted, the length is too short, so I need to use a standard power adaptor to run the laptop as well :(

    Has anyone seen an extension cord for the magnetic portion of the Magsafe (eg, just a magnetic snap-on like the Magsafe to Magsafe 2 adaptor that will add a few feet of length to the power portion)?

    Given the uniqueness of the problem, I looked on ebay/amazon but can't seem to find anything.
  2. bloomk macrumors newbie

    Feb 15, 2014
  3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god


    Oct 9, 2005
    Apple has not license any other companies at all thus far to use MagSafe (or MagSafe 2) connectors.

    So, short answer is there are no authorized products. Now what you might find on eBay, that's another story.
  4. priitv8 macrumors 68040

    Jan 13, 2011
    Keeping in mind, that the coding chip is inside the MagSafe connector, you would want to make sure you get a straight-through extension cord (along the lines of MagSafe 2 Adapter), without the chip possibly taken from another charger with different wattage.
  5. a.coward macrumors regular

    Jun 1, 2010
    Alternative Solution

    As an alternative solution, couldn't you just buy a Thunderbolt
    cable and connect it between the Mini and one of the TB ports
    of the display? That leaves the "pigtail" free to connect to the
    MBP. It also has the advantage that you could connect the
    MBP to the display if necessary (as long as the Mini is turned
    off, that is).

    At least this should work based on this:

Share This Page