magnets and iPads.....

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by bigbonsai, May 13, 2010.

1. bigbonsai macrumors newbie

Hello there
    I am a designer, and am currently designing a new cork sleeve/cover for the Apple iPad.
    I am investigating using a small magnet as the fastner to close the top of the sleeve.
    My question is: do you think sliding an ipad past a magnet to get it in and out the sleeve would be harmful to the divice?
    many thanks.
    ryan

2. Fanatik macrumors newbie

Another member here said that they had a case which used magnets to close the lid and it messes up their compass on their ipad.The compass would only work without being in the case. Since yours is in a sleeve it should be fine since people do not use their ipads in sleeves. It will also depend how strong the magnet will be. As long as it is not too powerful it should be fine

3. Streethawk macrumors 6502

It would be fine. Magnets do not cause problems with solid state memory as they do with hard disk drives.

If you were using a very powerful magnet there could be some issues, but a small one for closing a case wouldnt have any effect.

4. outaru macrumors member

I believe there's no problem on using magnets, Beyzacases thinvelope sleeve already uses magnets as closures.

I guess the magnet should be week but strong enough to hold the flap.

5. bigbonsai thread starter macrumors newbie

many thanks to all your answers, i guess its just convincing the consumer thats its all ok.
    regards
    Ryan

6. Macdicted macrumors regular

Well im not a designer but I had the same concern,,,

My favorite case's so far all use magnetic clousure's and I wondered if it was safe to use.

So it will mess with the compass while in the case but no long term affects.

Good to know :cool:

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Not entirely true. Magnets do affect the internal compass and depending upon the duration of exposure to magnets and strength of the magnet the affects can be permanent. That was an issue with the G1 Android phones, and other similar devices I'm sure.

8. JYCH macrumors member

I have my Vaja Retro Slim Jacket for couple days. They use small magnets (they are weak magnets) as the fastener. No problem so far.