iPad Magnets apparently break the iPad's screen.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by onsdag, Jan 17, 2015.

1. onsdag macrumors newbie

I've had my 4th gen iPad for almost 2 years now, and today this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm9a8qFrL3g

The thing i'm putting against it is a toy magnet. It only seems to break it when touching the bottom left magnet on the ipad. I've had an apple brand smart cover on this thing since day 1.

Has anyone here experienced anything like this?

2. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

This is nothing new or surprising. Magnets screw with video. Place one on an old CRT/TV screen or modern iPad, magnetic fields just screw with video.

3. onsdag thread starter macrumors newbie

This was happening with the magnets that hold the Smart Cover in place as well. It obviously shouldn't be doing that, interference or not.

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Magnetic fileds screw with moving electrons.
    An LCD is completely different than a CRT/TV.
    The only effect a magnet should have on an LCD screen is maybe screwing up certain types of backlighting.
    The effect shown in this thread is definitely not normal.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It would appear that a connector on the inside is loose and the magnetic field is causing it to break its connection.

6. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Sounds like a trip to the Apple Store for the OP then.

7. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Agreed with GJwilly.

This is not an old-timey cathode-ray-tube display with electrons zipping through a vacuum and being deflected by any magnetic field they encounter. LCDs are impervious to magnetic fields... or they should be.

So, something's not right about this iPad. I hope it's just a loose connection, or some loose metallic bit that's being moved around inside, such as a loose screw. In case it's the latter, I'd get it checked straightaway in case the screw should decide to alight on something that will cause more than a flicker. Such as a kaboom, if it should short something carrying raw battery power.

Good luck, OP.

8. onsdag thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple only has a one year warranty period over here in Europe, and i've had this thing for almost two. Will it still be possible to get this sorted free of charge at an Apple store, or will i have to pay for something like this to get fixed?

9. Zxxv macrumors 68040

upto 6years in the uk. could argue/explain/say it was a fault that was there at time of sale

10. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Definitely double check - most of the countries in Europe seem to have laws that require 2 or more years of coverage.

11. Andydigital macrumors regular

Andydigital

It's two years minimum in the whole of Europe so you should be fine, don't let Apple fob you off they have no choice, it's a legal requirement.

12. Zxxv macrumors 68040

in the UK we have unto 6years of coverage under the sale of goods act for a fault to be brought to the attention of the seller. Its even on apples UK website.

13. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

This.

I've used this to my favour a few times.
    How much you have to argue depends upon the quality of the retailer/company. Sometimes you have to argue a bit (politely and calmly).

In many cases, you'll hear of stores saying that it's not their responsibility and that you have to go to the manufacturer and take up the issue with them. This is incorrect; the first port of call is with the person who sold you the item. Don't be fobbed off!

The moneysavingexpert website is a good source of info, advice & guidance, as is the UK government website (if I recall correctly it links to 'Consumer Direct' / trading standards).

Apple's stores should be good, as they've no one else to refer it to since it's their product. Also, the staff there usually seem to be trained to be aware of the European legislation that's protecting UK consumers.

14. abta1 macrumors 6502

If you bought it directly from Apple, take it into a store and let them check it out. If there are no signs of abuse or user related damage then it is quite likely they will fix or replace it.

If you bought it from a reseller, then they will tell you to take it up with the reseller.