Magnets Cause Microphone Issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MICHAELSD, Dec 16, 2014.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I've been using a wallet case for my iPhone 5S and just recently realized that I've been having microphone issues since around the time I began using it. It may be purely coincidental though since I removed the case and am still having the issues of my microphone temporarily not working for periods of time.

2. MICHAELSD, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014

MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Interesting -- the SIM card may have been the issue. The magnet was where the SIM card slot is located. Thus far after removing and reinserting the SIM it's been working fine. The only oddity is when I had connection issues my mic also wouldn't work in voice recording apps.

3. T4R06 macrumors 65816

4. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I already have a pretty great 6 Plus wallet case for the 6 Plus I got myself for Christmas. Am a bit concerned but a lot of users here seem to at least be fine with wallet cases.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The microphone contains a tiny magnet that could be damaged or interrupted if another stronger magnet is near by

6. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Makes sense. It's a shame that most wallet cases use magnets.

7. T4R06 macrumors 65816

8. srltzz342 macrumors member

Is that an actual problem? Right now I'm using a magnetic car mount, do you think it would hurt the phone? The mount is great, and I don't think that there has been a difference with audio or reception yet...

Here's a link to the mount I'm using--

9. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Pretty slick but not my cup of tea.

[​IMG]

This Verus case looks just like the picture and is much higher quality than the Chinese case I was using with my 5S that caused issues. Would be a shame if I notice issues with the Verus one though since I haven't found many slick non-book-themed wallet cases ;).

10. long86 macrumors member

I have a Lab C Smart Wallet case on the way for the IPhone 6. Does anyone who owns this case have any issues cause of the magnet?

Thanks.