Magnets in cases--a problem for 3G?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by sorsha, May 17, 2010.

1. sorsha macrumors newbie

I've noticed several iPad cases have magnetic clasps or similar. Which sounded great until I read a review of the Eco-Vue that mentioned the magnetic strip interfered with the functioning of the compass in the 3G model.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with cases that have magnets? How big a problem is it? Does it interfere with GPS functions?

I'd particularly like to know for the Eco-Vue as I'm seriously considering it and that's the one thing that would be a deal-breaker.

2. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Yes, Apple recommends not to use magnetic strip cases with iPhones and iPads as they small magnetic field will impact accuracy over time.

3. Pared3s macrumors regular

I hate to question demigods but can you please provide a link to where Apple says this? Thanks

4. sorsha thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd be curious to see the official Apple statement on this, too!

And does it apply only to magnetic strips, or to clasps and closures as well?

5. Big-jay macrumors newbie

Issues with marware

I have issues with the maginets in the marware. They are only an issue when the compass is active and the cover is folded behind the iPad. The compass will not register correctly and wants to calibrate all the time. The gps works correctly.

6. sorsha thread starter macrumors newbie

It's the GPS I'm most concerned about. So as long as you don't open up a compass app, there's no problem? It can do GPS functions without it asking you to calibrate anything, or errors in the GPS locating? Or does the calibration error pop up while you're using the GPS?

It's important to me because I want a case I can keep the iPad in pretty much all the time, and I'll definitely want to use the GPS from time to time. Pretty frustrating that so many cases are being made with magnets in them!

7. d00m42 macrumors regular

d00m42

What I want to know about the Marware Eco-Vue is whether that tiny strip of fabric used to hold the iPad in place is actually strong. If I hold the iPad upside-down in the case, will it fall out? Has anyone come up with some way to better secure the iPad in place?

8. jacoder macrumors member

jacoder

I have the case and the same issue when enabling compass. :(

9. neu macrumors newbie

What compass app are you using?

10. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

How dangerous are the Eco-Vue magnets? Are the effects harmless and temporary?

11. jacoder macrumors member

jacoder

Google Map, 3D Sun Moon, 3dCompass.