Magnets weakening?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Apple all life, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Apple all life macrumors 6502

I know this is a stupid question but can the magnets weaken? My unibody macbook opens when upside down.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

id take it back to apple store and see what they do

3. Apple all life thread starter macrumors 6502

thats what I plan on doing monday, just wanted to ask if anyone else had this problem. I remember seeing some threads but I am not sure

I plan on getting a matte screen from techrestore. Will this void my warranty?? Or just void the warranty on the screen because techrestore offer a warranty on their screen.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Changing to a matte screen via 3rd party will most likely completely void your warranty.

As for the magnet, my Unibody opens up a bit too when turned upside down.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They can weaken, but it's unlikely. It takes a lot of energy to re-arrange the tiny little magnets that compose a big magnet such that the overal magnetic field strength is lessened.

6. John585 macrumors member

when i hold my macbook upright it opens it never use to happen with my old screen.

7. dkh587 macrumors regular

Mine comes open now, but it did not for the first few months after I got it.:(

8. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

That probably has more to do with the hinge than the magnets.

9. kanga macrumors newbie

Mine started doing something similar, although I noticed it quite suddenly. I was opening the lid, only it didn't pivot as smoothly as usual and made a bit more of a creaking sound. Since then, I've found it's looser when opening for the first half inch or so, and will open by this much inside its case if I leave it hinge side down in my bag.

It's definitely the hinge rather than the magnets - I plan to take it to the apple store to see if they can adjust it.

10. walkum13 macrumors newbie

I took mine in and they sent it to Apple. Apple sent it right back. I was pissed as the issue wasnt resolved so they offered to give me a new 2.4. I asked for a MBP and got it! Good luck guys, I wish you the best ;)

11. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Mine is doing the same thing.......the hinge will spring open if you carry the closed laptop........

12. simewich macrumors newbie

I also have the same problem. The macbook doesn't stay closed when it's on it's side anymore. I took it into the apple authorized repair shop in my town. They said that they haven't seen anybody with this problem before. So they called apple up on the phone to see if they would accept the repair. They said no. The head technician told me that after that, he sent apple an email with a video of the problem attached. Apple replied saying that it is normal and that I should use a sleeve to protect it when I'm carrying it in a bag. A band-aid solution. The tech then told me their was nothing left he could do and gave me the Apple Number. 1-800-my-apple . I haven't called them yet because I'm wondering what is the best way to go about this yet.

I'm pretty pissed right now because I'm confident that this is a defect and not my fault. Apple really has to step up their game because this is ridiculous. They didn't provide a sleeve with the purchase, but now apparently it's a must have thing to protect my Macbook's screen. What are they going to do when my Macbooks screen cracks? Blame it on me? Maybe they should have provided a sleeve with the purchase if their laptops so so poorly made. I'm confident that this whole thing is going to blowup in apples face soon because it seems to be a problem that happens 6 months after you buy it.

EDIT: The Unibody models do not have magnets according the the tech guy.

13. Zillicah macrumors member

Yea, same thing is happening to me too. But, mine opens when it's less than 90 degrees. I think this is because my screen is off center and it is more to the right than it should be which also makes my hinge creak and makes it uneven when closed.

14. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

I have yet to contact Apple regarding my problems with the hinge, its not bothering me much at the moment, but its annoying, and in my opinion its NOT normal at all !!!

I will probably take it in at some point to my friendly local Apple re seller (no Apple store round here) and ask them to take a look at it....the hinge has gotten out of kilter somehow and from just normal light use.......if it gets any worse i will take it in.....and i wont accept "Its normal" as an answer.......i want it putting right.......

15. simewich macrumors newbie

So I got my situation with the faulty hinge worked out. This is how I did it.

I dropped my Unibody Macbook off at the authorized repair shop (no Apple stores around Canada). They felt that the issue should be pick but they needed apples go ahead, so they phoned Apple about it and they denied the claim. Next, the head technician at the shop didn’t agree with their verdict so he sent an email to Apple with a video of the problem attached. They replied with saying that it was normal and they would offer me a sleeve for free. I wanted it fixed so I took it a step further. I called 1-800-my-apple and spoke with their tech support. She felt it should be fixed to so she let me speak with her supervisor. He also felt that it wasn’t within normal spec, so he spoke with his manager (Highest level of tech support). The manager said no, all they could do for me is offer a free sleeve for it. The supervisor eventually transferred me to customer relations, where I spoke to gentlemen. I explained the problem to him and then he asked for the number of the repair shop. He spoke with the Manager of the shop and the repair was authorized.

I was on the phone for an at least an hour and a half for all of this and it wasn’t easy.

If you want the Customer Relations number and extension of the man I spoke to, send me a message at: sime_wich at hotmail dot com

Tips:

Be angry on the phone but don’t take it too far (swearing).

Some of the things I kept repeating on the phone were:

The hinge is broken; it’s as simple as that. And you guys aren’t doing
    anything about

The sleeve you’re offering me is a band aid solution.

I want it fixed before the problem gets worse

What are you going to do when my Macbooks screen cracks because something got in-between the keyboard and screen? Blame it on me?

16. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

I agree contacting customer relations is the way to go......

But i never get angry with them.....i find if you explain your problem in a clear and firm fashion stressing the fact that it is not the kind of thing that can be "Normal" for a few months old expensive notebook computer...

I find geting angry with any of the phone operatives is counterproductive....

Just my 2c...

17. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

How old is your MB that they replaced ?

18. simewich macrumors newbie

yes, i agree. and thank them when they say that they are going to do something for you. like phoning the repair shop.

19. Mr Gadget macrumors newbie

I have the original first gen alu macbook, and having same issue tilt on its side and the lid springs open. How many more is this happening to? can it be repaired?. An expensive laptop for this to happen not happy.

20. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Well its happening to me, so that's 2 of us at least.......

21. kanga macrumors newbie

As an update to my earlier post, I was able to get mine fixed at the Apple store. The Genius stated that Apple considered it 'within tolerance' but offered to fix it nevertheless.

I'd thought it would be simply a case of tightening the hinge in-store, but (as I think was mentioned in an earlier post), the entire screen had to be replaced as the hinge is integral to the screen assembly. I suspect this may explain their reluctance to perform the repair in some cases. Good luck if you decide to take it in for repair.

22. Vonswanko macrumors regular

Mine is doing the same thing. I might make an appointment for this week.

23. simewich macrumors newbie

Just an update..

My Apple authorized dealer phoned me today saying that if im still having problems, to bring in my macbook. Apple has now officially confirmed this as a warranty covered problem.

Apparently apple has made a special replacement hinge so they don't have to replace the whole screen when they do the repair. Hence why it's covered now (apple is a bunch of cheap bastards).

24. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

My macbooks have all done this straight out of the box. This is only a problem if you tend to operate macbooks upside down.

25. Guzzie macrumors newbie

So after reading this thread, and seeing that it is an actual documented issue, I took my alum macbook into the apple store, and they sent it off on the 20th. They said it would take 5-7 days. Today I check online to see that they recieved it, "repaired" it, and its pending return all before noon. Is this typical for repair time with apple or did they just decide it wasn't an issue and decide to ship it back? It seems mighty unusual to me, but I've never done this before.