Magnifique - theming for leo

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ploki, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Nope, but just looked it over and like what I see, so I'll give it a try this afternoon. I'll let you know what I find.

jW

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just tried it out, and while I'm not thrilled by the current set of themes, the program itself works beautifully. Forget ShapeShifter, this thing is great. Quick too, at least if you're not dealing with any of the custom mods (installed one theme that only took about 3 seconds, then another later took nearly 2 minutes because of some type of custom mod, not sure what it was doing). Easy to uninstall themes too. Overall, very impressive. Just need some better themes now.

jW

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yeah, downloaded that just before posting my last comments, I didn't ever use the previous version after all.

jW

5. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

Im installing right now ill add what i think in a bit

This must be fairly new, cause i find it surprising that so few have heard of this, where you would think that a working theming app for leopard would be a pretty big deal

im a little worried i'll break my leopard install but so far i havnt heard of anyone havin that problem.

6. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I downloaded this about 5 days ago. I installed the iLeopard theme and it's awesome. Took about 2 minutes and now my entire system looks like iTunes 8.

I must say, Aqua was getting stale.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'm using iLeopard now too, but it seems to prevent me from using Silk, unless I'm missing something. Anyone else experiencing that problem?

jW

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

1.2 is out now.

Downloaded it, and tried to get a theme, but their way of having themes be posts in their forum (some of which I can't even view without creating an account) and having the creators provide their own links for it, sucks.

I tried to download iLeopard, but can't get it off MediaFire, it just says "Your download is starting..." and does nothing.

This hassle = Magnifique dragged into the trash.

9. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

It took quite a while for a free Leopard theming app to come out.

Glad to see this if for no other reason, one of the themes will allow you to change your menu-bar to near-black, with white letters.

10. pcwiz macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I am the developer of Magnifique. I sincerely apologize for the hassle, registration is now optional and everything can be downloaded without registering. The current forum downloads method is only a temporary solution until we find a working organized way to manage downloads. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be appreciated :)

Thanks

11. kolax macrumors G3

Anyone post some screenshots of the iLeopard theme? Sounds interesting!

12. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

I'd suggest a repository system not unlike apt, etc. use. Theme devs submit their themes to repositories, along with screenshots, etc. The repo manager publishes them to the repository, which can then be accessed for one-click installations by Magnifique. Should be much easier than the current system for all parties involved.

13. pcwiz macrumors member

We have just introduced a new file repository :)

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Because of that I gave it another try. It worked, and works great.

iLeopard is nice-looking!

Nice work there, pcwiz!

15. kolax macrumors G3

Is there any side effects that we should be aware of? Conflicts or any others?

16. glasserp macrumors regular

The application itself is great. I tried a couple different themes, but ended up sticking with iLeopard. It's probably the simplest theme and really unifies the OS. The other themes were uninstalled quickly, cleanly, and without any problem. Overall, it's pretty cool. I just think some of the themes could use a little polishing up here and there.

17. pcwiz macrumors member

Leopard doesn't have a lot of themes, which is why we have a group of people working on porting old Tiger ShapeShifter favorites to Magnifique :)

In terms of file downloading, the fun doesn't stop at the file repository. The next release of Magnifique will have a built in downloader. To get the app to talk with our file repo software was challenging, and involves a PHP script that grabs info from the MySQL DB, is outputted into an XML file, which is then fed into the app to parse. Overall the system works great, so keep checking :)

18. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Would you consider open sourcing the application under the GPL or BSD licenses?

19. pcwiz macrumors member

Yeah, I do plan on maybe open sourcing it sometime in the future. Still have to comment the code, etc. so people actually understand what's going on ;)

Kilamite, no, I've heard experiences from many who have used the app, and there are no conflicts or side effects. Any issue (if there was one) can be easily solved, as the application makes frequent backups.

20. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Awesome! :) Lemme know when the source is available, 'cause I'd love to take a look at it some time.

21. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Do you happen to have any idea why Silk refuses to function (at least for menubar fonts) now that I've skinned Leopard with Magnifique (I'm using iLeopard right now)? Any starting suggestions for where to look would be good to know.

jW

22. dr.devious macrumors regular

dr.devious

It does not seem to like to theme the menu bar when in Firefox.

23. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to add file checksums (MD5, SHA-1, etc) for the downloads? We are dealing with files that modify the system, having a corrupted file could deal a lot of damage.

24. pcwiz macrumors member

Hi,

If a theme installs a modded menubar you need to disable the translucent menubar from System Preferences >> Desktop and Screensaver to see the new menubar.

As for checksums, every file is checked by our staff, and every file is compressed. Meaning that if a file is corrupt, chances are that the problem will be immediately apparent and the archive will not extract, so the theme can not be applied.