Magsafe 2 adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by falterego, Aug 25, 2012.

1. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

I'm struggling with this little brick. I just got my 2012 MBA and one of the adapters to carry with it, however I have no nice way of doing this. I have Magsafe 1 adapters at work, my home desk, my couch (yes i work from the couch too) my laptop bag and my car just in case I'm not hear any of those. I usually just bring the laptop around in a Speck Pixel sleeve, so I don't have a pocket to put the adapter in.

What I think would work best is a small clip that I could JB Weld to the adapter. Something with a bit of flexibility to hook onto my laptop sleeve which is the only thing that is always with the laptop. The only other alternative I can come up with is getting another sleeve that has a small pocket for the adapter, but that seems like a waste. I can't help but think there is some $2 solution at a craft store or something.

Anybody else have this kind of situation, or a recommended solution?

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have found that once you attach the adapter... it pretty much stays in play. The Magsafe 1 magnetic bond seems stronger than the Magsafe 2. Hence, I would just buy an adapter for each of your MS1 adapters and keep them installed permanently.

RANT on:

The Magsafe 2 connector really sucks. It is fine using the MBA on a desk... but I use mine in other odd ball places continuously. On my lap, on the couch, laying in bed, etc. The damn thing is just too weak. I also hate the straight-in design compared to the 90 degree design of it's predecessor.

The strongest magnetic bond for a rectangular shaped connector would have been a square. Apple has made the MS2 even more rectangular than the last design, and hence it is extremely easy to "tip off" and disconnect. Total crap. I am really disappointed in Apple on this move.

Rant off:

Like you, I have a bunch of MS1 connectors everywhere I regularly use my MBA. I have bought one extra MS2 connector... but I have actually found that the MS1 with an adapter is more stable than the MS2 (by a very slim margin).

This is really so disappointing.

/Jim

3. KPOM macrumors G5

While I wouldn't be surprised if Apple tweaks the strength of the magnet, they aren't looking to create the strongest magnetic bond. To the contrary, one of the reasons for the redesign was that the old adapter wouldn't come off easily enough when the cord was tripped, which defeated the "Safe" part of MagSafe. The original design was horizontal and did come off more easily. The only reason Apple went with the L-shaped design a few years ago was that the original design tended to fray and they had to recall them. My guess is that Apple figured out how to make a horizontally mounted cord that didn't fray, and used it as an opportunity to release a thinner design that would enable them to make the MacBook Air thinner in the future as technology progresses.

To the OP, have you considered a neoprene pouch, perhaps with some velcro tape that you can use to attach it to the sleeve that you carry the MacBook Air in? As for me, I tend to use ziplock bags for my accessories (e.g. flash drives, power cords, and the MagSafe 1 converter).

4. falterego thread starter macrumors 6502

falterego

I'm not a fan of the idea of spending another $50-$70 to have an adapter on each MS1 charger, especially since my wife has a 2011 MBA and will use many of the same chargers. That means she would have to remove the MS2 adapter and it will undoubtedly get lost.

I was thinking some small clip is the ultimate solution, or some way to keep it secured to the Speck sleeve I have. I'm going to keep hunting or a solution. I feel like there is something so obvious that I am missing.

5. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

+++++++1

The straight cord means that the end of my power cord is twisted at strange angles, which means that it won't last as long as my 2010 MBA power adaptor has (2+ years and no damage). Plus it falls off way to easily.

Apple made a huge step back with this"improvement". Bring back the 90 degree angle plugs!

6. dyn macrumors 68030

I wouldn't mind the old plug as long as Apple will buy me a new one each time that adapter fails to safe my laptop from falling to the ground. They won't because they'll go bankrupt if they did.

To the OP: just buy one adapter and stick it to the Air. Or put the adapter on one of the poweradapters. Only use that one to charge at home and put the other adapter in your bag that also holds the Air when you go out and about. Quite a lot of people have this kind of setup. Some even have an additional one at work (so 3 in total).

7. 2IS macrumors 68030

Then your bank account must have taken a huge dent seeing that Apple never had this policy and you've clearly had extensive experience with laptops falling to the ground and you having to replace them out of pocket continuously all these years.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

When the original MagSafe came out (with a horizontal connector) Steve Jobs bragged about how great it was since it would disconnect if you tripped over it. The L-shaped adapters did not do as good a job of disconnecting. I think the MagSafe 2 comes off a little too easily, but I think the solution is a slight strengthening of the magnet, and not going back to the L-shaped design.

9. asting macrumors 6502

So basically you're angry that a new product doesn't work with old things and are unwilling to spend the $10 per charger to get an adapter. Entitled much?

10. dyn macrumors 68030

Luckily I have very good reflexes and was able to safe my notebook all the times it went for the ground. I very well know that I can't be lucky all the time. There will be a time where luck will run out and it will meet the ground causing me to buy a new one. I've now solved that problem by buying the MBA 2012 (it solved another problem: weight) and I'd like to keep it this way.

When one can pull up his 2.54kg notebook by the charger wire this is not a good sign of something that is designed to let go when somebody trips over the wire!

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I just use it. Seems as though it functions the way Apple designed it to.

12. Goodfella3.2 macrumors newbie

Goodfella3.2

I cant understand for the life of me why they changed it... the first one just worked so well. This new one always wants to pop out when i'm anywhere else other than my desk. Never the less... I still love my new air.

13. 2IS macrumors 68030

Pics?

14. tburk32 macrumors member

I personally don't have an issue with the Magsafe 2 as disconnecting is what it is supposed to do. I had the Macbook air 2011 with the L-shaped adapter and it was definitely better as far as not disconnecting while I was using my laptop on my lap while plugged in but there were definitely times where the computer was pulled along with the cable if it wasn't a sudden jerk of the cable to cause it to release. I am concerned that the Magsafe 2 will fray like the original t-shaped magsafe did but until that happens I don't have a problem with the current design. I can tell you for sure that I was glad I had Dell's accidental protection coverage while in school because of how many times my motherboard was damaged when someone in the library tripped over my power cord or if I tripped over it myself. I can think of 3 motherboard replacements in my 4 years of college that were caused by the standard power cord connection on my Dell.

Well after all of that I'm really surprised that with everyone complaining about the Magsafe 2 disconnecting too easily that no one has referenced this article. I can't imagine that I'm the only one who read it Loose MagSafe 2 Plug Destroys Retina Macbook Screen I know once I read the article I was much more cautious when closing my macbook air while I was (or thought I was) charging. Just thought I'd make sure other people were able to learn from someone else's misfortune.

15. dyn macrumors 68030

I've seen people cracking their screens because they forgot they had put a pen on their notebook (lesson 1: never put anything on your notebook) and simply closed the lid without looking (lesson 2: do look before you close the lid, saves lots of money) but this is new and quite strange too. Normally the magsafe disconnects and falls away from the notebook. Could be that in this case the wire was jammed into a tight space allowing the magsafe to unplug and jump onto the notebook. If you don't look before you close the notebook (say when you are in a hurry) then you get the nasty result of cracking the screen. I don't think I want to know what repairing that kind of damage will cost...

16. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Both the "L" and the "T" do a good job disconnecting when the wire is pulled or during a trip. Both also do good when the laptop is used on a nice flat surface such as a desk.

The "T" does a crappy job when laptop is tilted on a soft surface such as a lap, bed, etc. That is how I almost always use my laptop.

My original MBP with "T" connector was OK... but the MBA with "L" connector was a vast improvement. The new "thinner T" is much worse than the orginal "T" brecause it is thinner... and as a result, more prone to easily disconnect in an "up and down" rocking motion... the exact failure mechanism when the laptop is tilted on a soft bed or against your leg when sitting on your lap.

The frustration is more with the "T" vs "L" design. The thinner profile just exacerbates that problem.

I know someone will say not to use it on a lap or a bed because of bad airlfow etc. Personally... I don't give a damn. It is not a problem in most cases... and it is a valid laptop usage. If fans kick in... it is easy to remedy.

/Jim

17. tburk32 macrumors member

Flynz4 you totally took that sentence out of context haha. The full sentence was "Well after all of that I'm really surprised that with everyone complaining about the Magsafe 2 disconnecting too easily that no one has referenced this article." I wasn't saying I'm surprised how many people complain about how easily the new Magsafe 2 disconnects, I was saying that I was surprised with all of the complaints about it that no one had referenced the article that I linked. I can completely understand why people complain about it disconnecting easily and when I read that article about someone cracking their screen because of how easily it disconnected it made me more worried about it disconnecting than I was before I read about the article. For me personally I'm willing to deal with the frustration of the power adapter falling off instead of my L-shaped adapter getting caught on my drawer when I open it and watch my macbook air be drug along to the edge of my desk since it wasn't a sudden enough jolt to dislodge the L-shaped adapter. I'm not trying to persuade anyone in one direction or the other just giving my first hand experiences.

18. ancilla macrumors member

Yup, MagSafe 2 is a massive POS, and Apple needs to offer to exchange them for one that actually works at their cost.

Sure, it makes it marginally safer compared with the MS1, but what the hell is the point if it doesn't do what it's supposed to do: stay in and charge the battery.

Maybe Apple should make a Magsafe 3 that has no magnet at all, and you have to permanently use one hand to hold it up against the laptop for it to charge.

SO SAFE! Now you never have to worry about someone tripping on the cord and knocking your laptop down! :rolleyes:

19. tburk32 macrumors member

On another note I can't imagine that the charger constantly disconnecting is good for the long term health of the battery.

20. KPOM macrumors G5

How so? The battery is meant to be used.

21. tburk32 macrumors member

charging (move slightly) not charging (plug it back in) charging rinse and repeat. The battery could probably handle it but I have a hard time believing that it is harder on the battery than charging it for longer periods of time. Maybe I'm completely behind with the new battery technologies.

22. falterego thread starter macrumors 6502

falterego

Where did I sound angry? Or entitled? I never said Apple should give me adapters for each charger. I'm just saying I only have one laptop that needs the MS2 connector, so I'd rather not buy more of the adapters than I need. I think it would make sense to have some sort of clip or other component to attach the adapter to my keychain or laptop bag. Something that I would BUY and not expect for free.

And when did I say the T shape or L shape connector was my complaint? Aren't there already threads about that elsewhere that wouldn't hijack a thread that was started about a different topic? Like maybe

Here: What's been your biggest beef with 2012 MBAs? For me it's Magsafe 2...
    or here: Anyone using original Magsafe with Magsafe2 Converter?
    or here: Anyone else finding that Magsafe 2 physically disconnects more than Magsafe 1??

23. dyn macrumors 68030

I honestly can't see why that would make you worry about the connector since this can happen with any connector and any other item such as a pen. Always look before closing the lid. It's not the connector that cracked the screen, it is the user failing to look at what he's doing and not noticing that something is laying on the notebook.

Again, the problem in that case isn't the connector but the user not paying attention.

Then I wonder what you define as "actually works". Apple advertises the Magsafe to let go when somebody trips over it. The previous version did not do this very well. In many countries that means that Apple is misleading the consumer because the product doesn't do as was advertised. That would be breaking the law. Most recent example of this would be the 4G advertisement with the iPad 3 (or whatever you want to call that model).

So we need something that will disconnect each time somebody trips over the wire without dragging the notebook to the ground, even on surfaces that are a bit slippery. If they don't then they are breaking the law in many countries. On the other hand it needs to stay put whenever you move your notebook around. These two things are each others opposites. Now try to solve that dilemma. What would your ideal MagSafe connector look like?

Li-ion and Li-po batteries are very very very sensitive. You do NOT want to charge them directly because you have to know and monitor what you are doing very precisely. If you don't then the battery will burst into flames or even explode (check out RC-forums and YouTube).
    That's why these batteries have special controllers that control the current so they don't burst into flames/explode. In the Air there is even a special microcontroller that controls the charging of the cells. It can charge all cells or just some of them. It is a very intelligent system and it is meant to optimise lifetime and charging the cells.

Now with that in mind it is not hard to imagine that they have accounted for the continuous connecting and disconnecting. You can find more evidence of that in the official Apple battery FAQ on their support site. They advise not to always charge the battery from 0 to 100%.

So does it do any harm for long term health of the battery? No.