MagSafe 2 charger died after 20 months

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andeify, Jul 21, 2016.

1. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

So two nights ago my MagSafe 2 charger died, it made a pop/click noise and just stopped charging. I tried it again a number of times later to double check, I also switched to the short plug only adapter to check it wasn't just the cable/fuse and still nothing, Tried in different outlets, still nothing.

I bought a new one today, but my question is should Apple replace it? Is it ok that a power adapter doesn't last two years? Has anyone else had a charger die in a short time?

2. jerryk macrumors 68020

Apple will likely not replace it. Damage due to wrapping the cord which causes fraying and shorts is considered to be wear and tear items. My 1st charter frayed on me after about 13 months.

3. andeify thread starter macrumors 6502

andeify

The cable is in perfect condition, no fraying or splitting. I dont wrap the cord up, it just stays on the floor in a slight loop, its never been put under any strain.

4. chabig macrumors 68040

If it's under warranty, I'd expect Apple to replace it. If not, no.

5. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

Considering your in the UK you could try going to your local store with the charger and receipt/box if you still have them and talk to the manager. Ultimately you should be covered under the sales of goods act. Considering how much Apple charges for magsafe 2 chargers they should last a lot longer than 2 years when looked after properly. Just be polite and explain the situation and you may well get a replacement.

6. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Apple MagSafe/2 power adapters are of c*** quality and will spontaneously fail.

7. jerryk macrumors 68020

You are so correct. Apple got so fixated creating a magnetic connector they forgot to create a decent charger. I have never had to replace any other company's charger.

8. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

My power adapter failed after 15 months. There is no fraying at all.

Apple's "Genius" told me: too bad, it's out of warranty.