Magsafe 2 connector heating

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by electric6, Jul 27, 2014.

1. electric6 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone ! I have a late 2013 retina Macbook Pro 13 inch model. I have noticed that when I charge it, the magsafe 2 connector (the one that actually plugs into the notebook) becomes hot. Sometimes it is so hot that I cannot touch it for more than 4-5 secs. It cools down when the battery reaches 80 percent or so at which point I think it shifts to slow charging. I know that the white plastic box is known to heat up but not sure about this one. Btw my white plastic adaptor does not heat up abnormally, stays warm normally. Should I take it to Apple ?

2. gareth25 macrumors newbie

I have the same issue.

Did you take it to apple and what did they say?

I have a case open with apple and they have replaced the adaptor, but now they are saying they need to replace the connector in the machine if I'm still concerned.

It may very well be normal but I have not noticed it before.

3. ColdCase, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Old thread I know. My early 2014 rMBP15 magsafe connector gets so hot when an external 27 inch display port monitor is connected when using FCP or compressor that if I accidentally touch the connector with my pinky, it burns painfully. My early 2013 rMBP15 used to get quite warm, but not so hot that it would burn a finger.

I am now noticing discoloration of the white power wire cover and cracking of the strain relief due to the heat (this is my desktop cord, I use another adapter when on the move). This can't be a good thing for reliability?

I think perhaps the GPU is in that corner and it gets toasty when used heavily and, in turn, the heat gets conducted out from it and a lot ends up on the magsafe connector. The aluminum case is quite warm, but not uncomfortable to the touch, or not nearly as uncomfortable as the connector. The power brick itself remains just warm to the touch. The case fans are sometimes full blast, but the connector will get very hot regardless of fan speed. Battery is fully charged.

From what I've read this is normal operation, but I wonder if Apple will replace the power adapter due to the deterioration brought on by the heat.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

That isn't normal in my experience.

5. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

I will bring it to a genius bar and get the brick changed before further damage appears.

6. ColdCase, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

An update: Apple replaced the power brick under warranty.

I notice that the magsafe connector no longer gets hotter than the rMBP case but the brick is much warmer. Perhaps a poor connection in the original connector was heating up under power load, but I dunno.

So those of you that have a Magsafe connector that is painfully hot to the touch, it may not be normal.

This is what the old one looked like after 8 months of use, the geniuses say this is cosmetic.

Attached Files:

7. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

It's normal for it to get warm, but it should not get beyond warm. It should not be uncomfortable to touch it.

8. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Everyone who has this problem, check your Magdafe ports on your MBPs and make sure there is no dirt in it, especially metal. Sometimes a staple or something gets stuck in there because of the magnet, and it can short-circuit it and make it very hot.