Magsafe 2 connettor very warm

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dcaccount, Jun 14, 2015.

1. dcaccount macrumors regular

Hello,

I am asking for your opinion as on these days the magsafe2 connector of my rMBP 15" is very warm. Actually I have noticed it by chance, I do not know if it has always been warm but I doubt it as I bought the Mac one year ago.

It happens only while it charging the battery, once reached full charge it becomes cool. Around the MagSafe 2 socket the Mac looks like not overhating at all. It seems to be limited to the connector.

It has to be said that temperatures in Italy are quite warm, about 90F.

So my question is, is that normal it shall I check with apple care?

Thanks for advising, daniele

2. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

To be on the safe side, you can take your rMBP and charger (remember to take both items) to an Apple Store, where they will inspect the adapter for you.

Better safe than sorry :)

"Whether or not your product is in or out of warranty, you can take your adapter to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store for evaluation and replacement if necessary. Pending the results of the evaluation, you may or may not be eligible for a replacement adapter free of charge. Signs of accidental damage would negate any coverage. Be sure to bring in the computer used with the adapter; it is required to process potential adapter replacements."

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203207

3. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

If it is only warm when the battery is charging it sounds normal. It will warm up - it's passing about 5 amps through a small area, but it was designed to handle it - well insulated connector, decent conductors on the logic board to handle the current.

When the load decreases it cools back down again. I don't think you have anything to be concerned about. If the cable is melted at all, or frayed, then I would take it to be checked out, but I think you're ok.