magsafe 2 from ebay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applebigmac, Sep 10, 2015.

1. applebigmac macrumors newbie

2. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

i buy used/like new Apple accessories all the time on Ebay...i'd say go for it. i recently bought a used Genuine Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter for $8.00 w/ free shipping and works flawlessly. plus if you're paying with PP(Paypal) you can always get your money back if the item isn't as described or faulty.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

You paid for a premium laptop. Surely you can buy a genuine adapter directly from Apple? Nobody else is licensed to make them, so anything else you buy has been cobbled together with parts of unknown quality.

Shady grey market adapters are a fire hazard. Burning down your house isn't worth saving a few bucks. The power adapter is the only part I would not skimp on. Video adapters or such, those don't matter too much.

4. applebigmac thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you Snaky - it said Genuine apple, but in bulk packaging. I contacted the seller and he confirms its genuine but packaging is different. he got good reviews and willing to take it back if we find it not genuine.

I thought I would ask here as I am new to mac - thanks for your advise.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Its not all genuine, there is too much colour difference between the charger block and the plug-in mains pin unit. One of them is non-genuine. Not worth the risk IMHO...and bulk packaging? You seriously think any factory produces them but doesn't package them in the Apple packaging? (that would be a dumb additional cost). If genuine parts they are probably stolen in transit, de/re-packaged (classy plastic bag), and then laundered...

6. applebigmac thread starter macrumors newbie

T H A N K S!!! - Will stay away from eBay and order from apple! - thank you for guiding me in proper way!