Magsafe 2 indentation

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by chacolo, Jul 13, 2012.

1. chacolo macrumors member

Hello,
    I discovered today that my brand new Magsafe2 adapter has a small indent (see attached picture showing the location of the indentation (the picture is not from my adapter)). As the indentation is in direct contact with the laptop case, I am wondering if I could face some electrical problem. Indeed, the indentation has removed the anodization and I am wondering if the Magsafe2 "cover" plays some role in shielding or grounding.
    Thanks !

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You won't face any problems. The outer area of the connector is for the magnetic connection, designed to hold the connection in place. It serves no electrical shielding purpose. The electrical connection is in the center.

3. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

4. chacolo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.
    No idea for the desk. I found the picture on the web ;)

----------

Great ! As this the indent is rather small and because it is only cosmetic, I will keep it like that. I am just wondering how it happened. I just got my Air a few days ago and I do not remember having scratched it ;)

5. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

If you want to get it swapped at an Apple Store, you can try. It's an easy transaction. You "buy" a new magsafe adapter, switch your defective item, and "return" what you just bought. You can do this under the supervision of the Apple Store employee (or not ;) ). We used to do this for customers a long time ago. I don't know if they still let you but you should be able to.

6. chacolo thread starter macrumors member

Well if it is only cosmetic and does not make any trouble, I will keep it like this.