Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RG0141

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2013
Hey guys!
In Thailand at the moment with an Australian MagSafe 2 adapter.
I can't tell which is L or N in the Thai power sockets does it matter can polarity be switched? Don't want to fry my computer.
Thanks;)

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
Hey guys!
In Thailand at the moment with an Australian MagSafe 2 adapter.
I can't tell which is L or N in the Thai power sockets does it matter can polarity be switched? Don't want to fry my computer.
Thanks;)

It does not matter which is which.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The Magsafe connector, and your Magsafe 2 as well, can be plugged in either way without any difference, totally reversible.
Looking at the connector - pins 1 and 5 are ground (earth, I suppose); pins 2 and 4 are V+; and the tiny center pin is a data/control line, that controls the LED color, and power output of the charger.

The output is DC, not AC, so would not use the L and N identification, AFAIK.
pinout diagram here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagSafe#Pinout

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
The Magsafe connector, and your Magsafe 2 as well, can be plugged in either way without any difference, totally reversible.
Looking at the connector - pins 1 and 5 are ground (earth, I suppose); pins 2 and 4 are V+; and the tiny center pin is a data/control line, that controls the LED color, and power output of the charger.

The output is DC, not AC, so would not use the L and N identification, AFAIK.
pinout diagram here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagSafe#Pinout

I don't think the OP meant the MagSafe connector, rather the wall plug.

But yeah, your answer would still be correct: you can connect it either way.

RG0141

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2013
Yeah sorry just meant connecting L and N at wall socket.so L and N doesn't matter just you can connect either way and don't know which is which and couldn't find any info on the polarity of the charger however apples plug for MagSafe does have L and N printed at prongs
:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.