Magsafe 45 watt problem "L" type connector

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ajijang, Apr 27, 2017.

  1. ajijang macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2017
    #1
    Okay so I will go directly to the problem, recently someone left my magsafe in our room at the corner with a glass of milk, the milk spilled all over the magsafe but then i dried it up with a towel and then the next few days I've noticed something with the connector (the magnetic one which is plugged into the macbook) I have to wiggle the connector to light it up.. sometimes it doesn't light up. The worst is the end of the connector the "L" shaped magnetic one when I plugged it into the macbook it heats up very quickly in just about 5 minutes like a hot boiling water.. so hot that I cannot touch it and it hurts. Hey guys, what could be the problem with my magsafe.. Is it overheating or it got wet because of milk then can it still be usable but more careful or it needs to be replaced as soon as possible? Right now, I'm having problems with my money I think this year I cannot buy a new magsafe :( I think I will still use this magsafe but more even careful not to get to the point of extreme temperature of my magsafe connector (magnetic one that it is plugged). Thank you for reading this guys I think you can help me with this. :( it is the charger of my macbook air
     
  2. Unami, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017

    Unami macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2010
    Location:
    Austria
    #2
    if it's overheating then it's not very safe to use it. probably some milk went in there - leave it in a warm, dry place for a few days, maybe put it in a bag with rice and then see what happens. if it's still overheating, but works, you can still use it - the worst thing that could happen is, that your macbook burns down, so keep an appropriate (for li-ion batteries) flame extinguisher at hand, if you plan to do that. never leave that damaged charger plugged in unattended, unless you have nothing to lose, no neighbors and a good fire insurance. there's also the risk of electrocution, but it's probably not that great from liquid damage and even slimmer if it hasn't happened yet. either way, it probably won't kill you, unless you got a heart condition. still it might be a good good idea to wear shoes with rubber soles from now on.

    long story short: try to dry it, if it still overheats definitely get a new one, and be extremely cautious while using it (and be aware of the fact, that it might kill you, if you're not. and that there's a not insignificant chance that it will damage your macbook). personally i wouldn't take the risk, it's not worth it. even if it doesn't overheat any more, it should still get replaced asap.
     
  3. elf69 macrumors 68000

    elf69

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2016
    Location:
    Cornwall UK
    #3
    Clean the end with isopropanol.

    I had similar with my macbook and got real hot.

    was dirt or contacts not allowing the flow of electricity to the mac and was overheating the tip.

    I cleaned it and been fine since.
     
  4. ajijang thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2017
    #4
    Sometimes i wiggle the magnetic tip of the connector and theres a time when it charges continously with a moderate temperature or normal temperature of charging. What else could it be? and btw as I have observed since it the charger starts to function abnormally. Right now, I am using my MBA as I touch the charger right now it is charging it's temperature does not hurt at all (It's been charging about an hour right now and the temperature does not increase abnormally.

    -Another observation it "needs a proper placement or wiggling in order to find itself charging normally without it's charging temperature increase abnormally.

    -Anyway, let me try drying it with the rice method.

    -Another one, what kind of liquid/residue I should use in cleaning the magnetic tip or charging port. I'll try the rice method and I will tell you the results later on. What do you mean by my macbook will burn down? When the magnetic of the charger heats up abnormally, the components inside or near the charging port will have a chance of burning or the macbook will also heats up abnormally? I always make sure that my macbook has proper ventilation like egg tray and place it in a cool place when it starts get hot like in air conditioned place but I shut down and give my macbook a rest immidiately when it starts to heat up because it is summer now here in the Philippines and its always very hot inside of our house. And don't see any abnormal physical changes with the connector yet maybe proper care and more care/observation I should do to use it until I get a new one. Right now, I cannot afford magsafe because of family financial problems, I'll take the risk of using it but I'll be more careful in using it for sure. Anyways, thanks for paying attention of my problem and godbless. :)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 28, 2017 ---
    Okay, I will try it. Thanks for paying attention of my problem.
     
  5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2012
    #5
    The contacts needs to be cleaned throughly. A film of contaminant would act as resistor and cause the heat-up. I would use a medium toothbrush with some dish soap, finish by blowing it with some compressed air. Then plug the the thing into AC WITHOUT the laptop, let it sit there for 10 minutes, touch the charger with your hands and it should stay cold, if its heats up then milk got inside the plug and I don't have a fix for you.
     
  6. bartvk macrumors 6502

    bartvk

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2016
    Location:
    The Netherlands
    #6
    The thing overheats because it shorts out! Why on earth would you hook up an expensive laptop to a power supply that has been taken for a swim? Just replace it and be done with it.

    Optionally, check out your contents insurance to see if it's covered.
     
  7. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

    DesignerOnMac

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2007
    #7
    "L" type connector isn't the proper Magsafe connector...
     
  8. ApolloBoy, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017

    ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

    ApolloBoy

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2015
    Location:
    San Jose, CA
    #8
    It is for a first gen MBA or second gen up to 2011.
     
  9. elf69 macrumors 68000

    elf69

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2016
    Location:
    Cornwall UK
    #9
    my 2009 macbook came with an L type genuine charger.

    What makes L type not a proper magsafe?
     
  10. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

    ApolloBoy

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2015
    Location:
    San Jose, CA
    #10
    The MagSafe 2 connector (which is used in the 2012-15 models) doesn't come in that form factor.
     
  11. elf69 macrumors 68000

    elf69

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2016
    Location:
    Cornwall UK

Share This Page